PDA

View Full Version : Seats in New passat

luckda
29-10-2007, 02:13 PM
We are shortly looking to buy a new passat estate and are deliberating between a SE and Sport. Can anyone share their experiences of the two different types of seats - the sport seats and the flatter versions in the SE.
Is there sufficient lateral support on the SE?
Are they comfotable on long journeys?
Any other pros and cons?

iaint
29-10-2007, 02:46 PM
I have an SE and have no problem at all with the seats. The comfort over long journeys I find to be excellent and I can drive for several hours with out experiencing any backache or numbness.

As for lateral support, I drive almost exclusively on the motorways and find the seats more than adequate. I can't comment on how they would hold you on a quick drive along a twisty B road though. Having said that I don't think the set up of the Passat is suited to that type of driving anyway.

As for the sports seats, I've no experience of them so over to someone else. . . . . .

Cheers
Iain

Santana
29-10-2007, 03:49 PM
I have standard (non-SE) seats which are excellent. They are both supportive on corners and comfortable on long journeys. They are very firm, typical VW in that respect, but that's what I like, and one of the reasons I bought the car in the first place.

LuvWatch
29-10-2007, 09:02 PM
I have the sports model with leather seats.

When I first went for a test drive in it I thought the lateral supports were a bit intrusive, but still went for it. I now don't notice them and in general I find them comfortable and firm.

As long as your bum isn't the size of a house the sport seats should be fine. :biglaugh:

Good luck with your choice.

Derek

BenR
30-10-2007, 01:32 PM
I have standard SE seats in cloth. They never seem to be comfortable yet I've never had any serious discomfort on a long run. They are pretty soft, you sit in rather than on them.

luckda
30-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks everyone for your views. It just goes to show what a personal preference this is. Some consider the seats soft - others hard. I am getting a test drive in a Sport this weekend so will get the dealer to show me the SE as well. I just hope that I can get three child seats across the back seat. I can't face a people carrier!!
:confused:

Argonaut
30-10-2007, 04:32 PM
The seats in my SE are poor IMO, and not a patch on the sports seats in my previous Laguna. They are too firm and you sit on them not in them.

LuvWatch
30-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your views. It just goes to show what a personal preference this is. Some consider the seats soft - others hard. I am getting a test drive in a Sport this weekend so will get the dealer to show me the SE as well. I just hope that I can get three child seats across the back seat. I can't face a people carrier!!

If your children are between 3 and twelve you can get integrated child seats with slumber pillow.

When I test drove my passat estate the slumber pillows were in the back seats, my children (11 and 13)
put them over their shoulders, like you do at Alton Towers for a scary ride - the salesman then explained
what they were - this disappointed the kid's as they thought they were in for one hell of a ride :aargh4:.

Anyway here is a pic

http://images.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2006/112_news060104_volkswagen_safety_z.jpg

The slumber pillows are detachable, there now stowed away as my sprogs are too big.

Regards
Derek

Quatrelle
30-10-2007, 09:47 PM
The seats in my SE are poor IMO, and not a patch on the sports seats in my previous Laguna. They are too firm and you sit on them not in them.I'd go with that - in my experience of Renault seats, there's never been much to equal them. The seats in our Passat are 'acceptable', imo, compared to our Laguna.

jewjew24
31-10-2007, 04:29 AM
I have the Sport and the seats are very comfortable & supportive but I would add the sport ride (with slightly lowered suspension & 17' alloys) can be a little harsh on bumpy uneven roads. As for 3 child seats across the back seat I would say from personal experience definitely no way, however I do not know if it is possible with the integrated child seats.

luckda
31-10-2007, 11:16 AM
If your children are between 3 and twelve you can get integrated child seats with slumber pillow.

When I test drove my passat estate the slumber pillows were in the back seats, my children (11 and 13)
put them over their shoulders, like you do at Alton Towers for a scary ride - the salesman then explained
what they were - this disappointed the kid's as they thought they were in for one hell of a ride :aargh4:.

Anyway here is a pic

http://images.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2006/112_news060104_volkswagen_safety_z.jpg

The slumber pillows are detachable, there now stowed away as my sprogs are too big.

Regards
Derek
MY TWO ARE 3 AND 7 SO THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD OPTION. WITH TWO OF THESE SEATS, IS IT STILL POSSIBLE FOR AN ADULT TO SIT COMFORTABLY IN THE MIDDLE SEAT

LuvWatch
01-11-2007, 07:52 PM
MY TWO ARE 3 AND 7 SO THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD OPTION. WITH TWO OF THESE SEATS, IS IT STILL POSSIBLE FOR AN ADULT TO SIT COMFORTABLY IN THE MIDDLE SEAT

No, not comfortably - I just got my daughter to pop the two integrated child seats up and asked her sit on the seat in the
middle - she put the seat belt on, but said there wasn't much room for her to move.

So an adult would find it a tight fit in between the two integrated child seats - hope this helps.

Regards
Derek