PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 TPMS type - direct or indirect?

french_audi
11-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Hi Folks,

I asked this question under the tyres section but had no replies.

I am pretty sure that new Audi cars use the indirect method to measure tyre pressure - that is ABS and wheel rotation method, rather than the in-valve sensors.

My new Allroad has been ordered but of course I can't confirm as I don't have the car yet. I wish to buy some winter wheels and tyres so I need to know before ordering.

Can someone with a new A4 confirm?

Regards

Mark

Alan02
11-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Havent got anything that new (2012 A6) but mine is via ABS. It could be they`re all the same?

french_audi
13-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Thanks to Alan for his sole reply - nobody else bothered....

I contacted Audi and they have confirmed that the Audi models use ABS sensors and wheel speed to monitor pressure.

So for anybody else curious or planning on Winter / wheels and tyres then they know they do not need to buy the pressure sensor valves. A lot has been said about this indirect method but I think it is perfectly fine, that and owner checks.

For anyone curious and after some research I chose Nokian WR D4 winter tyres. I saw that the Continental tyres were doing well but some reports were saying that the results were biased. Continental tyres are certainly very good of course.

Thriftmeister
13-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Hi
Sorry for not replying. Yes no TPMS sensors on mine so assume it's ABS and rolling radius.

As for the winter tyres, my son has the Nokian WR D4 on a Fiesta and they seem great and are very well priced. They are super quiet too which I don't think is a feature of the Contis.

french_audi
14-10-2017, 06:26 AM
Hi
Sorry for not replying. Yes no TPMS sensors on mine so assume it's ABS and rolling radius.

As for the winter tyres, my son has the Nokian WR D4 on a Fiesta and they seem great and are very well priced. They are super quiet too which I don't think is a feature of the Contis.

It does seem the Nokian are a good bit quieter and better on fuel economy. Most of the these Winter tyres do well on snow/slushy ice but sometimes cold rainy days are a difficult. The Nokian seem to be better in the rain and also last longer.

Thanks