PDA

View Full Version : Dull headlights restored

Rob69
10-10-2017, 06:44 AM
I recently drove my b5 in the dark for the first time in ages and remembered how crap the headlights are on these! The headlight glass (plastic)was looking a bit yellowish and dull though, so I spent a few hours yesterday rubbing down and polishing with one of those restorat́on kits, they came up really clear and transparent, and it seems to have improved night visibilty. This is just using the standard H 7 bulbs as well. Worth considering doing on older cars for 20 quid and a few hours.

Naseem
23-10-2017, 11:57 AM
I used the Meguires restoration kit with the rubbing pads, polish and polish brush attachment to put on a drill. They came up really well.

t8nyharr1s
06-08-2019, 10:21 PM
any cutting compound will have the desired effect, i used T-cut.

Gazwould
06-08-2019, 11:17 PM
Depending on how bad they are , sometimes 600 is the starting point.

Crasher
07-08-2019, 10:01 PM
I did a customers 3B3 yesterday. I started with 1000 grit wet using diluted TFR until they were completely flat, then the Meguires kit 1, 2, 3 and 4 pads and mopped with the plastic polish using their pad on a drill and they came up almost like new with some good effort. The let down in the past has been rapid degradation of the finish so as we did for the first time last week, I used the Optima wipes from ECP. The coating takes a long time to dry so I left it until this morning, pressure washed off all the splatter and buffed the lights up. I was in the workshop assessing a project car and I heard the lady owner exclaim how good they looked, time will tell if the lacquer wipes work but I will be doing Mrs Crashers Polo 9N’s lights next week. Also those wipes could come in very handy for all sorts of restoration jobs.

ryan1396
28-09-2019, 02:03 AM
Those wipes are pretty decent. I use the 3M kit and those Optima wipes.