PDA

View Full Version : Question Gracenote

pxr5
06-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Gracenote? Is it actually supposed to do anything? My MMI is connected to the internet as required by Gracenote and the manual says it will download song data as needed. Now, I've got a couple of loaded SD cards and the files without any tagging information do not get updated from Gracenote. I'm suspecting that it may only be for CDs, but I've no longer got any to try. The manual doesn't say this, just me speculating, so anyone any information on how it's supposed to work. Jukebox only maybe?

As an aside I'm slowly going through my files and tagging them all manually with mp3tag, which is a chore.

pxr5
08-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Well. I'm organised at last. All my muzak is neatly arranged and all nicely tagged correctly. I must try to keep on top of it though and not let it get in a mess again. Third world problems eh? :p

jbmercapple
13-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Just for info, Gracenote is an online CD database. It only works on CD's as from my understanding it looks at the length of each track, file size of each track and then recognises the CD only if they both match. Therefore any ripped tracks won't be recognised.
One problem I had when loading music onto my MMI was that album art has to be a certain size. If it's too high a resolution the MMI show it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pxr5
14-10-2017, 03:22 PM
That makes sense about Gracenote and CDs.

This is supposed to be useful to bulk resize album art. Luckily I knew about the limitations before tagging my mp3s, so got the size and dimensions right beforehand.

Sanse Mp3 Art Sizer : Home (http://hcware.x10host.com/mp3art/)

J11CRM
23-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Even if my ipod has all the artwork stored on it, very few tracks actually display the album cover - is this not supposed to be carried out by gracenote?

nevbadger99
18-11-2017, 06:22 PM
It doesn't seem like it's much use if it only looks at CDs. I have just ticked the box to enable it and not noticed it make any difference yet.

I've just moved from a 2013 to 2016 A6 (assuming the software is shared with the A7 so relevant here) and it seems much fussier about album art - I run all my music from an SD card and half the album art doesn't seem to show up any more :-(

pxr5
19-11-2017, 02:09 PM
It doesn't seem like it's much use if it only looks at CDs. I have just ticked the box to enable it and not noticed it make any difference yet.

I've just moved from a 2013 to 2016 A6 (assuming the software is shared with the A7 so relevant here) and it seems much fussier about album art - I run all my music from an SD card and half the album art doesn't seem to show up any more :-(

It will most likely be the size of the embedded picture file. You could use mp3tag but that can take ages for each track/album. Or try this, it's supposed to bulk resize embedded art:

nevbadger99
19-11-2017, 08:40 PM
It will most likely be the size of the embedded picture file. You could use mp3tag but that can take ages for each track/album. Or try this, it's supposed to bulk resize embedded art:

Thanks, that looks ideal, I had started ploughing through one by one but that will save me hours :-)