PDA

View Full Version : Question Will A5 wheels fit my A7

Corb2000
05-10-2017, 10:04 AM
I'm not the first one to think of buying some smaller diameter A5 wheels to put on my A7 as winter wheels but I've not found anyone who can tell me if they will fit.

The A5 wheels I am considering seem ok as far as PCD goes (5 x 112) and offset (ET33), they are also ok diameter and width wise (19 x 9).

However, I'm not sure about their stud size (M14x1.5) or their centre bore (66.5mm) either of which might not fit the A7.

Can anyone tell me if this will work and if not which of the wheel dimensions would be a problem. My A7 BE has 20 x 9 wheels at the moment and is a 2016 car.

Thanks for any help...

Neil-A
05-10-2017, 11:17 AM
I'm not the first one to think of buying some smaller diameter A5 wheels to put on my A7 as winter wheels but I've not found anyone who can tell me if they will fit.

The A5 wheels I am considering seem ok as far as PCD goes (5 x 112) and offset (ET33), they are also ok diameter and width wise (19 x 9).

However, I'm not sure about their stud size (M14x1.5) or their centre bore (66.5mm) either of which might not fit the A7.

Can anyone tell me if this will work and if not which of the wheel dimensions would be a problem. My A7 BE has 20 x 9 wheels at the moment and is a 2016 car.

Thanks for any help...

This thread is the other way round a7 to a5 but might help

can A7 alloy wheels fit A5 offset - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum (http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28229)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Corb2000
05-10-2017, 12:58 PM
That’s helpful thanks and it looks like the A5 wheels I’m considering would be fine as long as I fit tyres that have the same rolling radius as my current 20” setup...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil-A
06-10-2017, 01:06 AM
That’s helpful thanks and it looks like the A5 wheels I’m considering would be fine as long as I fit tyres that have the same rolling radius as my current 20” setup...

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkGreat and glad it helped. :)

Just wondering are you changing for the winter to protect your 20's or preempting harsh weather in your area and using winter tyres? I know a silly question but I haven't experienced a proper winter yet in mine as last year it didn't happen, not in Birmingham anyway. I'm running on 19s so should I be aware of the handling etc or is it as any car would be in those conditions on standard tyres

Hope the change over works out for you

french_audi
06-10-2017, 07:04 AM
Not wanting to jump on your thread but niether 19'' nor 20'' will be great in Winter weather and both rather hopeless in snow. I know it will spoil the looks (just for Winter) but for a set of Winter tyres then consider some 17'' with Winter tyres or if you live in a area where you are sure to get snow a few times then look at snow tyres. I don't have an A5 or A7 but each year in late November I change to my Winter 17'' wheels and Winter tyres and have never had an issue in snow etc. I run a Audi A4 3.0 quattro but will be changing soon to an Allroad. Check out what the Swiss and Austrians do if you need further thoughts.

Corb2000
06-10-2017, 02:44 PM
My reason for buying a second set of wheels was to have a dedicated winter tyre and wheel set, as I’d done previously on my last BMW.

I’ve done one mild winter in my A7 on Pirelli zeros and it was as you’d expect really, the 4wd system helps you get moving in snow but stopping is no better than anything else on the road. My BMW with its winter set of 18” tyres was excellent in snow and cold slippy conditions so going back to the limitations of a car equipped with summer tyres was a disappointment.

I note the comments about the limitations of bigger wheel sizes with winter tyres though, and had noticed that these are usually packaged as 17” sets.

M1tchy
07-10-2017, 09:47 AM
I drop from 20” to 19” for winter tyres. Fairly mild last winter so didn’t really have any issues where they were notably useful.

The wife goes 18-18” and a few years ago we were not far off the only thing moving around North Yorkshire. Got to a point where my bro couldn’t leave my parents house but we had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neil-A
09-10-2017, 01:07 AM
My reason for buying a second set of wheels was to have a dedicated winter tyre and wheel set, as I’d done previously on my last BMW.

I’ve done one mild winter in my A7 on Pirelli zeros and it was as you’d expect really, the 4wd system helps you get moving in snow but stopping is no better than anything else on the road. My BMW with its winter set of 18” tyres was excellent in snow and cold slippy conditions so going back to the limitations of a car equipped with summer tyres was a disappointment.

I note the comments about the limitations of bigger wheel sizes with winter tyres though, and had noticed that these are usually packaged as 17” sets.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkUnderstand and nice to feel sure footed when the winter weather comes. I'm almost at the point of getting new tyres all round so think I might just opt for some winter wheels tyres.

Do you notice much more noise with winter tyres around town or motorway driving?

Corb2000
09-10-2017, 08:07 AM
I had Continental 850s as my BMW’s winter tyres and they were very similar noise wise to the standard summer Dunlops - they were all runflats though, so relatively loud and stiff compared to non runflats.

I did find that the winter tyres had noticeably less grip whenever there was an unseasonal period of warmer weather (12C & over), which happened several times during the three winters I had them on. I usually swapped the wheel and tyre sets over at the end of October and the end of March.

M1tchy
09-10-2017, 06:36 PM
I didn’t notice anything outrageous noise wise and neither a drop in mpg that made me take note. It may have dropped a few mpg but didn’t notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wildbeeste
17-10-2017, 10:05 PM
A5 wheels will fit an A7
It is normally suggested to go down at least one size in wheel diameter with winter wheels
Winter tyres are generally quieter especially on motorways
Just remember to mark each wheel so you know corner it came off unless you want to move them around.