PDA

View Full Version : Coins in the dash

Pete123
28-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi All
I have a 2006 Passat with a built in Sat Nav system.
A couple of weeks ago i put some coins in the two draws above the sat nav system in the dash and one has fallen out the back of the draw and sounds like its on top of the Radio/Sat Nav. Every time i turn a corner i hear it slide from side to side.
The local dealer wants £80 to take out the radio unit and remove the coin.
Can anyone help tell me how to remove either one of the draws or the radio unit to get at the coin.

Regards

Pete

MJED
28-10-2007, 10:15 PM
To remove the radio, remove the surround pulling with your fingers and working round from the airbag warning light, easing the retaing clips. Be careful NOT to disconnect the airbag warning light, as you may need to have a reset done by a VAG com. With the surround removed, use a torx driver to remove the four retaining screws and the radio simply pulls out.

Having said all that, I don't think you will get at the trays as there is a moulding between the two. (can't remember!)

Mark.

carl s
29-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi All
I have a 2006 Passat with a built in Sat Nav system.
A couple of weeks ago i put some coins in the two draws above the sat nav system in the dash and one has fallen out the back of the draw and sounds like its on top of the Radio/Sat Nav. Every time i turn a corner i hear it slide from side to side.
The local dealer wants £80 to take out the radio unit and remove the coin.
Can anyone help tell me how to remove either one of the draws or the radio unit to get at the coin.

Regards

Pete

If you search on VWVortex there are some "how to" guides on removing the radio, plus one of changing the trim which details how to remove those push out trays.

Pete123
29-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks all the pictures on the other thread helped. The coin was behide the draw. After i unclipped the mouldings i used a long kitchen knife with sticky tape on the end of the blade to get the coin out.
I'll now spend the £40 on beer to celebrate my success.

Pete:Blush:

Hispanicgamer
10-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Pete,

I'm in the same boat with you and don't know how to remove the trays or drawers to remove the coins. Can you tell me where you found the info on removing the drawers?

Thanks!:1zhelp:

Was able to get the coins out, more info here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=127677#post127677)

shudman
14-02-2008, 01:05 AM
I cannot remember exactly....but had to go through this myself. For sure, you do not need to remove the radio as there is a thick plastic divider between the coin tray and the top of the radio.

I seem to remember having to remove the radio surround (usual precautions of the airbag indicator) to get a little leverage on the tray. Squeezing the sides of the coin tray in slightly and bending the coin tray downwards gently pops it out. Now - BE CAREFUL because there is a coiled spring under the front of the coin tray - this is what gives the tray its nice even and smooth slide-out motion. Look under the tray before you start, to see which way round it is (it does NOT uncoil when it pings out...just note its orientation and where the big part of the spring coil is).
Then you see that 1p piece that has been bugging the living life out of you for the last 4 weeks !! The glee turns to something else when you realise that there was a spring under the cointray and it has now dropped on the floor, with no idea where it came from or which way round it was :1zhelp:. The next 15 minutes then trying to work out whether the spring should be upside down, back to front or inside out ! Take head

Schorly
15-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I try to remove the trim above the coin trays on my 2007 Passat. Do you know how it comes off? I managed to remove the hazard switch surround but the trim above does not want to budge.

Quatrelle
15-09-2010, 05:23 PM
If you haven't done the job yet, do a search on here - it was covered a while ago, and I seem to remember there was a way to remove the drawers (without losing the spring!).

Schorly
15-09-2010, 06:53 PM
If you haven't done the job yet, do a search on here - it was covered a while ago, and I seem to remember there was a way to remove the drawers (without losing the spring!).

Hi, no it is not the drawers I need to remove, it is the little trim above the drawers and the hazard switch.