PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Please

pumpkinhead
28-10-2007, 06:25 PM
hi there hoping that somebody can help me i was driving to my holiday stuck in traffic then suddenly out of traffic and then i could not select 1 st gear or second gear it just seemed to vannish when i got to my destination i got in the car park and found that i could get 3rd gear and 4th gear but no 1st 2nd or reverse had to drive home after short break with car like this..
please help:1zhelp:

pumpkinhead
29-10-2007, 09:09 PM
sorted car fixed

onzarob
29-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Glad you have sorted it, any info on how would be great ;)

dibly
28-12-2007, 12:06 AM
yes about the gear change not working my friend had simular trouble on an r reg--it turned out to be a broken spring under the gear lever--they took off the other spring and it works fine without them

tony1066
14-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Hello all
The linkages from the gear stick to the engine are like pushbike brake cables only a lot thicker,
When moving from 3rd or 4th gear to reverse it pulls the cable - works fine
When moving from 3rd or 4th gear to 1st or 2nd it pushes cable

The problem occurs if the outer cover is broken, when it pushes it just splits outer cover instead of moving gears
I have just had both cables replaced £400 at garage one was broken other came apart when tested – not an easy job and cables cost £75 each trade price

dibly
14-11-2008, 10:40 PM
thanks for that --i will have a look at his cables as its still a problem

all the best

pufforeek
27-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Hello all, I recently had a similar problem with my 1997 1.9td alhambra, turned out the cables had worn and popped off at the gearbox, They are a plastic cup on the cable and metal ball on the gear box that when worn come apart. It's a time consuming job to replace them but not as bad as everyone told me it would be, me and a friend did it in about 3 hours without a manual to guide us, could be done in about 2 now we know how. Sorry to hear you were charged £75 each Tony1066, As my local seat dealer supplied the cables for arround £45 ford qouted £50 (galaxy has the same cables) thats for both cables, They come as a pair joined by a plate in the middle where they pass through the floor, deffinately not available seperately.

dibly
27-11-2008, 11:51 PM
well thats nice to hear--something cheaper somewhere, thats got to be good --have to tackle this one soon so it now looks much better than i thought--might feel like doing it now--thanks very much for that

dibly