PDA

View Full Version : R32 Brake problems!

spongebob
28-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi anyone that can help me, I am a new member and have just put my intro on the relevant topic. My 2007 R32 is going well in all aspects but 1, this being the brakes. In every day use they are fine but when I am driving harder than normal I find the back end of the car trying to come round on me under extreme braking. It feels like the rear brakes are not working enough to hold the car on the road in a straight line. I know the obvious thing to do would be to stiffen the front end up to stop it diving as much but this would invalidate most of the warranty. Has anyone else experienced any similar problems and would a simple rear pad change resolve my predicament if I replaced them with something that is for fast road or track use?

redmax90
28-10-2007, 06:16 PM
hello, i can only give some info on wat is going on when u brake hard i wouldnt stiffen the front of the car ..it will ruin the front end grip and make the ride too harsh..the loose rear end is simply a result of the weight transfer over the front end when braking extremly hard ..the 3.2 v6 is heavy in a golf..its just a simple characteristic..when u brake hard the weight transfer to the front makes the car a little light at the back end ..dont worry tho the rear end wont come round on ya ..the 4 motion will sort that out....any guy who gets the tail end out in an r32 on the public roads will be taken away by men in coats :p .
maybe try different pads when they are due changing..tyres too maybe ..some things caan make a difference .
good luck :beerchug:

spongebob
29-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks redmax90, I appreciate the response. But i fear every knock at my door now as it may be the "men in coats", I have already had the car very sideways on more than one ocassion and all the ESP light did was flash to let me know the bulb works. With reference to tyres the car came with dunlop heavy load tyres on. Can you or anyone tell me what the heavy load means as I would like to buy some cut slicks for track use but don't know if they will do the job?

BarneyBoy
29-10-2007, 11:07 AM
In every day use they are fine but when I am driving harder than normal I find the back end of the car trying to come round on me under extreme braking. It feels like the rear brakes are not working enough to hold the car on the road in a straight line. I know the obvious thing to do would be to stiffen the front end up to stop it diving as much but this would invalidate most of the warranty.

I think you've already solved your own problem - the rear brakes aren't working. If you've ever driven a car without rear brakes, you're describing exactly the symptoms you'd get.

Do the front alloys get MUCH dirtier than the rears? That'll be a clue that the the rears are not working as hard. And if ESP isn't pulling you back on line, that could be another clue that the rears aren't working properly. Times when I've induced the ESP to work, I've been surprised how well the system works.

But either way, for heaven's sake, get the brakes checked by an expert. Don't try fixing it by hotting up the suspension - you could end up knocking a big hole in the scenery somewhere. And that'll wreck you whole week :o

redmax90
29-10-2007, 05:25 PM
HEHE if i could meet ya id shake ur hand on gettin the tail out :biglaugh: .. anyways if u want to have the ESP and ABS checked by VAGCOM it mite be a good idea..i think its just the heavy braking on the front end tho but its worth having it looked at. Have u looked at any new tyres yet ?? ..I dunno about cut slicks for everyday ..seriously tricky in the wet..if u buy a set of replica wheels and put super sticky semi slick on them just keep them for track days. ill have a look around and c if theres any decent tyres around that wud do ur everyday use and get back to ya
cheers :beerchug:

spongebob
29-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks for your responses to my predicament, I think the first port of call will be my dealer and have them check it out to make sure that everything is working as it should be. Then I will look at other options if they dont find anything untoward. With regards to the tyre options I am only considering Cut slicks for track use but still need to look into that in more depth before fitting different tyres cause I dont know what this heavy load tyre is thats on it now.

redmax90
29-10-2007, 05:52 PM
hey .. i believe it is just a design of tyre that is intended for heavy usage i found this if helps ya >>> what kind of tyres are they ???

High load tyres
The present invention relates to tires suitable for bearing heavy loads, and to the use of a rubber composition to form the treads of such tires which delays the appearance of irregular wear on the treads of such tires during travel. The invention applies to tires for motor vehicles, such as heavy vehicles, construction vehicles or aircraft. The rubber composition comprises:
an elastomeric matrix comprising majoritarily at least one diene elastomer having at one or more of its chain ends a functional group which is active for coupling to a reinforcing white filler,
a reinforcing filler comprising at least 50% by weight a reinforcing white filler, and
a reinforcing white filler/functionalized diene elastomer bonding agent.
The present invention relates to tires suitable for bearing heavy loads, and to the use of the rubber composition to delay the appearance of irregular wear on the treads of such tires during travel. The invention applies to tires for motor vehicles, such as heavy vehicles, construction vehicles or aircraft.

spongebob
30-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks Redmax, that sheds some light on the topic. It sounds as if my car maybe doesnt need them, as some other R32s are not fitted with them. I also know much heavier cars that are also faster that dont use heavy load tyres. I appreciate all the help you are giving me, can't believe I didn't join a forum years ago!

Ben
30-10-2007, 10:15 PM
i have bridgestone potenza RE050 extra load tyres on my car.

its amazing how much 4 people and luggage weighs.