PDA

View Full Version : Question 2005 A3 Sportback P0226 Error

Grimly Fiendish
05-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Hi All,

I am having an ongoing issue with my 55 plate A3 140 Sportback,

I am getting a serious lack of power and the only error message I have managed to get is P0226,

I have had a need turbo in the last 12mths plus a new oil pump, I had a Terraclean in the last month and the EGR was then blacked off, still no power or acceleration anything higher than 2nd gear, there is a complete drop when going up hill,

I am seriously concerned I will need another turbo but I need to understand what is causing the underboost as the terra clean should have cleaned the system etc

Please can anybody advise or assist as I have always looked after the vehicle but need to be careful where to invest the pennies.

nevo
05-09-2017, 11:27 PM
Thats the throttle position sensor.

Grimly Fiendish
06-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Hi All,

I am having an ongoing issue with my 55 plate A3 140 Sportback,

I am getting a serious lack of power and the only error message I have managed to get is P0226,

I have had a need turbo in the last 12mths plus a new oil pump, I had a Terraclean in the last month and the EGR was then blacked off, still no power or acceleration anything higher than 2nd gear, there is a complete drop when going up hill,

I am seriously concerned I will need another turbo but I need to understand what is causing the underboost as the terra clean should have cleaned the system etc

Please can anybody advise or assist as I have always looked after the vehicle but need to be careful where to invest the pennies.

I actually had a new one of those put in by Audi a couple of years ago after the pedal snapped after cleaning the car, am I right in thinking this will require a re map for the replacement to be recognised ?

nevo
06-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Not a remap,what did you use to scan it.

Grimly Fiendish
06-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Not a remap,what did you use to scan it.

It was a Snap On scanner at the terra clean garage, is this sensor located under the peddle ? silly question but I need to be sure as I cannot fine one on the internet for an A3 of my year unless I am searching for the wrong thing, is maybe a Bosch part as I need to fine the correct part number.

Grimly Fiendish
07-09-2017, 07:25 PM
So the plot thickens, Audi have told me that there is no such thing as a throttle position sensor and what I need is a throttle valve controller which is £404 but before they are prepared to supply it I must have a scan for errors completed first at £98 ph but they would not say how many hours would be required, I have also questioned the length of the warrantee for the new pedal I had fitted as if it is the throttle position sensor it should be covered.

So I have to ask the question, if the pedal exists so must the sensor ? at which point Audi said there was no record of my car having a accelerator pedal fitted although I have the receipt at home in the filing cabinet.

I am now considering going to an independent to get the diagnostic done as the code P0266 is not a recognised Audi code apparently.... still no further forward until I can get the diagnostic done tomorrow, (Audi Manchester only run them Mon to Thurs)

Rob69
07-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Has anyone checked your MAF sensor or V157 intake throttle valve / anti shudder valve or does your engine have the intake manifold flaps and actuator ( I don't think it does: 2litre pd engine?) , also stating the obvious, have you checked the air filter and changed the fuel filter - did the terraclean guy change the filter or bypass it to add his fluid?
I'm seeing P0266 as injector#2 fault P0266 - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/P0266), I could be wrong though, if you can find an independent with VCDS they should be able to check.

Crasher
07-09-2017, 08:59 PM
That will usually be the wiring to the throttle pedal but failure of the pedal does happen. The warranty on a genuine part is 2 years on production of the receipt of purchase and they may want to see prooof it was properly installed if they want a reason to wriggle out of the warranty.

Grimly Fiendish
07-09-2017, 09:26 PM
The Engine is a BKD type according to the information plate, I have no idea about the MAF etc until tomorrow when hopefully I will see some error codes, I have been told this could be as simple as a 10am fuse that has blown but I have checked all these this afternoon and nothing seems incorrect, I understand through reading on this forum the actuator may be held open but I do not want to start poking around until I get the codes read.

Crasher
07-09-2017, 09:45 PM
The fuse idea is related to the V157 fault and this is not the one you have given us a code for

nevo
07-09-2017, 10:42 PM
you've put two different codes in your posts???

Grimly Fiendish
11-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Ok so getting a diagnostic scan was not easy as I spent 6.5 hours on the M6 on Friday after a bit of a pile up at Junc 19,

One thing that has come out thought is the MAF is kaput as it makes no difference if it is plugged in or not, apparently the engine should stall if its unplugged while running, when I tried this test there was not change what so ever so I have ordered a replacement and have rebooked the diagnostic scan.

Is it correct to assume the MAF is Kaput ?

Crasher
12-09-2017, 07:22 PM
That is not a good test and now you will probably have an Air Mass Meter fault code which will need clearing and then you will have to start again. Never unplug anything with the ignition on unless you read the codes first and clear them when you have finished otherwise you don't know if the code is real.

Grimly Fiendish
21-09-2017, 09:39 AM
I think I have found the solution, the Turbo Actuator on the BKD engine is a Pneumatic type and has NO sensor, when this was tested by a friendly Audi mechanic it showed the diaphragm was leaking quite badly, the solution given by Audi was replace the turbo which would be a cool £1200 after they Diagnostics they wanted to run parts and labour, I started searching around and found nearly all actuators are made in Latvia by one company and sold to VAG group they are called Nerings and have a ebay shop which guarantees the product, alternatively there is AET Turbos based in Normanton who have been around since 1974 and do a 24month guarantee, I digress.... cost of the actuator 30 to 50 quid for a named brand with a guarantee less if you are happy with a Chinese copy (I'm NOT) 30 minutes labour with a garage if you are stuck for a way of access to turbo if you have a set of ramps or a pit happy days ! Job done £90 beats the £1200 quoted, lessons learned if no sensor like on later models incorrect fault code / no fault code, now have a £25 quid Autel auto link scanner in the tool box as a garage will charge £30 to hook you up for 2 mins or Audi a set fee of £100 + AET do 24 hour delivery so will update later today....wait out

niall campbell
21-09-2017, 01:56 PM
I like my Autel VAG505 , its great and rewinds the electronic hand brake

Good find on the company though !!

Crasher
22-09-2017, 01:36 AM
I have never yet seen a BKD's actuator leak. A word of warning though, when Midland Turbo's rebuild these units, they fit a new actuator and these are flow bench calibrated, you can't just bolt a new one on and if you know anyone who can do the job floor to floor in 30 minutes, I have a job waiting for them.....

Grimly Fiendish
24-09-2017, 09:09 AM
I have never yet seen a BKD's actuator leak. A word of warning though, when Midland Turbo's rebuild these units, they fit a new actuator and these are flow bench calibrated, you can't just bolt a new one on and if you know anyone who can do the job floor to floor in 30 minutes, I have a job waiting for them.....

Thank you for the warning tbh honest I am just happy the car is working and responding again, it is quite disconcerting when you see an incline on the motorway you lose power and may get rear ended by someone able to maintain power.
I am 3 days in and the repair seems to be holding very well, when the actuater came of it was a simple mechanism and the adjuster was placed to the exact same position as the original, not a precise science but judging by the response in the accelerator I imagine this part had been failing for quite some time.
since owning the car I have always ensured it has been maintained correctly including a new turbo etc but paying another 1200 for a 50 part would be foolish if not required.

many thanks for the support I hope I will have some trouble free motoring for a while......