PDA

View Full Version : Warning lights and now won't start

poppydoodlesdad
02-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Hello,

Hoping for a bit of insight but this quite involved so bear with me.

Driving home this evening suddenly got a bunch of warning lights and beeping.

The warning lights are ESP, Power steering (amber initially) and airbag.

My wife was driving and after pulling over we restarted the car, the lights remained but as they were amber and we were only about ten miles from home we drove cautiously onward. While driving on the motorway the car drove fine though the wife, who was driving, reported the steering felt a little different than usual but we did have a canoe on the roof which may explain slight change in driving characteristics.

Once off the motorway there were a couple of occasions where there appeared to be a slight loss of power, all the dial seemed to die, though the engine did not stop, but we also got oil, brake and red steering lights. It would then pick up and we would go back to the three amber lights mentioned above.

Once we got home and emptied the car out tried restarting the car and it wouldn't start. Now has a red power-steering light and the two others as mentioned.

It is a 1.6 Altea, '57 plate, it hasn't been used much over the summer but has always started and run fine. Today we drove about 15 miles no problem but on the way home we got all teh warning lights.

I've got AA home start so I am going to call them out tomorrow and see if they can get it started and / or do some kind of diagnostic and then see where we go from there but just wondered if anyone had any ideas in the meantime?

Many thanks

NICK

Crasher
03-09-2017, 01:14 AM
Dead battery, the steering is fully electric, in fact just about everything is, no volts no work.....

poppydoodlesdad
03-09-2017, 08:16 AM
Dead battery, the steering is fully electric, in fact just about everything is, no volts no work.....

Battery was new less than six months ago!

Alternator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob69
03-09-2017, 08:19 AM
I've had similar dash lights when our battery died in a touran we had. New battery sorted it, you should check the alternator output Volts, should be around 14, 14.5 when running, also check alt belt tension and pulley clutch if fitted, maybe not fitted on petrol engine alternator tho.

poppydoodlesdad
03-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Should add that it turns over no problem so presumably not battery?

Would alternator give ignition warning light?

poppydoodlesdad
03-09-2017, 12:03 PM
AA man seems to think it maybe a problem with the dash pod as fault codes appear to suggest no data is being read, rather than an actual fault with the reported components.
Equally he thought it might just be a loose cable!

He's towed it to the main dealer(!) any ideas how much a dash pod will run to?

I'm looking at remortgaging already....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170903/c345a70dc56524f204da916ea530bc0e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170903/c345a70dc56524f204da916ea530bc0e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170903/0b3312a22adfaa4314f4a17890f89850.jpg

Rob69
07-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Any update on this since its been at the dealers a few days now? battery, Alternator or worse? when I had similar faults, engine would crank and start but lwo voltage threw up all sorts of dash warnings and codes.

poppydoodlesdad
13-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Dealer decided, through a costly process of elimination, it was ABS control unit.

£900 to replace!

I declined their offer and the car is back on the drive while I decide what to do.

Rob69
13-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Might be worth contacting BBA reman for replacement unit