PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Vibration at speed

ib1703
30-08-2017, 07:26 PM
I have recently purchased a B8 Quattro 2Ltr that's 3 and a bit years old. There was a lot of vibration when I first purchased the car and dealer fixed most of it by balancing wheels. There's still an irritating/annoying/unacceptable amount at speed. The dealer has now suggested that the wheel vibration is what he would consider to be a "characteristic of the car". Really! I am told the wheels have been "road force balanced" and are spot on. Therefore, end of story from dealers perspective.

Wheels are 245/40/R18 93Y Pirelli Cinturato p7's. Virtually/are new tyres.

Any views or ideas on the way forward - suggestion to go back to the garage with?

tumcakirm
30-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Engine fixing plastics might be broken. That vibration might come from engine since the vibration suppression cannot be performed by those plastics .
Recently I have experienced a vibration problem mostly at steering wheel, it has just been fixed which is due to the old tyres having wear on the base completely. I don't think your problem's cause is tyres.

LG-D855 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

usmanrrana82
30-08-2017, 09:13 PM
If you also experience a slight clunk at slow speeds along with vibration at higher range of speed then it may very well be failing engine mounts.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Scott K
31-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Try swapping your wheels front to back. You could have a damaged alloy or tyre.

Alan02
31-08-2017, 03:51 PM
I doubt the dealer would have one/ no how to use one, but a NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) sensor and hooked up to a scope would pin point the vibration. Its not just wheels that can cause a vibration.

gregpot2000
01-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Following with interest.....My 63 plate 2ltr A4 has had a vibration on the motorway for a while now, although seems to come and go, lasting for a few weeks on and off.

Mine is purely through the footwell and pedals, had in to a garage to be looked at once, of course it was at a point where it had stopped doing it!

ib1703
02-09-2017, 08:11 AM
I doubt the dealer would have one/ no how to use one, but a NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) sensor and hooked up to a scope would pin point the vibration. Its not just wheels that can cause a vibration.

The vibration/rumble comes and goes. Would a NVH help in that case? Can you rig it up and drive at speed? Who has a NVH/where do I find a company that has it in the UK?

ib1703
02-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Before the garage did all the wheel balancing the vibration was constant and I never went above a certain speed. Now I can go at all speeds but the vibration/rumble, which is no where near as bad as before, is still present and doesn't appear constant. I travel on motorways daily (same piece so I know the road and surface) and put the car in cruise control at various speeds to find the speed that encourages it the most and just wait. The vibration/rumble will come and go. I now feel the wheel balancing may have been one issue and now gone it has exposed another. Another piece of information is that the differential was replaced at the same time as the balancing sorted as I had a noise from the rear area - that noise from the differential has now gone.

attila_tdi
03-09-2017, 06:09 AM
I have this. It was bad a few weeks ago due to warped discs. They have been skimmed but not enough so it now only does it between 70mph and 80mph.

If its worse when u brake then it could be discs.

ib1703
03-09-2017, 08:30 AM
If you also experience a slight clunk at slow speeds along with vibration at higher range of speed then it may very well be failing engine mounts.

Do you do anything to encourage the clunk or does it just happen?

spartacus 68
03-09-2017, 09:28 AM
What's the mileage on this car? Vibration at speed is not a characteristic of any Quattro model. Stop using this garage - they obviously don't know what they're talking about.

Rule out the straight forward things first. It's possible to have a flat spot on a tyre causing vibration if it's been damaged. Been there before.

Regards brakes, then warped or pad transfer symptoms are easy to identify. Car needs to be up at about 70mph, brake rapidly. Any pulsating through the brake pedal could be siezed brake sliders or sticky piston. You can also drive car from cold and coast to a stop (no braking) after a few miles. Touch discs to confirm they're cold.

Get a visual inspection of engine mounts. Unusual for them to fail.

Any vibration through the gears? Don't want to suggest DMF or clutch release bearing, but some reports on B8.5 with 2.0 diesels failing prematurely, so would appear as a shudder in first gear.

Keep us posted.

ib1703
03-09-2017, 09:55 AM
What's the mileage on this car? Vibration at speed is not a characteristic of any Quattro model. Stop using this garage - they obviously don't know what they're talking about.

Rule out the straight forward things first. It's possible to have a flat spot on a tyre causing vibration if it's been damaged. Been there before.

Regards brakes, then warped or pad transfer symptoms are easy to identify. Car needs to be up at about 70mph, brake rapidly. Any pulsating through the brake pedal could be siezed brake sliders or sticky piston. You can also drive car from cold and coast to a stop (no braking) after a few miles. Touch discs to confirm they're cold.

Get a visual inspection of engine mounts. Unusual for them to fail.

Any vibration through the gears? Don't want to suggest DMF or clutch release bearing, but some reports on B8.5 with 2.0 diesels failing prematurely, so would appear as a shudder in first gear.

Keep us posted.

26K miles. Coming up to 4 years old. I bought at 24K. Had it for 5 or 6 weeks. New tyres. and that's probably why had the vibration initially. Since they carried out Road Force Balance it's been much better but likely to have now exposed underlying issue. I have tried changing down and up gears in manual mode, used sport etc. This doesn't have any affect. I will try the brake test and let you know. I don't recall any happening when braking at speed but want to try the coasting and feeling that you suggested. The vibration isn't there all the time and therefore I wonder if it's brake related.

usmanrrana82
03-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Do you do anything to encourage the clunk or does it just happen?In my case it just happens by itself at the slow speed mostly when I accelerate. It sometimes sound like the heatshield rattle.

mobilebarber
03-09-2017, 01:15 PM
1. Go to local tire shop have them check for bent rim and speed balance each rim. 2. Best tires on any VW are PureContact DWS Continentals then ExtreamContact DWS both no road noise and will not disappoint you in snow or rain. And yes tires and rim are not the dealers strong points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk