PDA

View Full Version : Any special Service tools required? Estate.

Chaff900
30-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Hello,

I'm looking at servicing my own vehicle a 66 plate passat estate, (as the dealerships are mega expensive) I have no plan of selling, and i will be using genuine VW parts to keep the warranty. I do almost 2k miles a month, which puts dealership prices out the window. My question is do you need any special service tools? I have a code reader that "should" be able to reset the service indicator, but i'm more worried about actual service tools, such as oil filter removal tool etc, or can i use what I've always used a strap wrench or chain wrench. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks for your time guys.
Chris Finch

Scott K
30-08-2017, 09:05 PM
I don't believe you will keep the warranty as the work has to be carried out by a VAT registered garage with genuine parts. To be honest at your mileage, if you are on the long term servicing, the cost is only 1 service per year and you can save money by supplying the oil. You could then carry out an additional oil change in between to keep you engine sweet. You shouldn't need discs and pads for a while but they aren't difficult to do but you will need VCDS for the rear brake release but that is probably 3 years away.
I would ask you to reconsider as the warranty is worth it for the first few years for the sake of 1service per year. Also, will VW price match?

Chaff900
13-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Hi, Scott, Thank you for the Advice, in the end i got VW to do it. I'm at 20K now next due at 38k! I'll take the hit till the end of the warranty! Sorry for the long time in replying!

Scott K
15-12-2017, 11:25 AM
Give it an interim oil and filter change yourself and the cost won't be too bad!! The filter has a 32mm socket on the top - no need to go underneath. The filter kit should have an o-ring in it (or maybe more than one). I use a suction tool to suck out the oil through the dipstick entry. This has worked on my last 3 Audis. I am lucky that we have a workshop at my office so I drive in, remove the oil filler cap and suck out the oil. While it's sucking out I get the new filter and oil, change the filter - by this time the oil is out. Top it up and put everything back. Takes 15-20 mins.