PDA

View Full Version : Please Help grinding noise after control arm replacement

wmccann
28-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Hi All,

Ok, replaced my control arms at the weekend. all 8!. after much cursing, heat, bashing, hammering, impact wrenching and loads of bad language I got it done.

2 issues though:

1) after I had torqued up the lower bushes (rear inside) I noticed a pool of "clear" oil underneath the bush. It could be some of the penetrating oil I had sprayed over the last few days around the bushing (especially those ones - used a straw to get "loads" into the metal frame. or it could be the liquid inside the bushing.
a) anyone know what colour the liquid would be - (using a Febi kit)
b) don't really want to replace the arm again - what would be the consequences of driving it? - note ride feels fine!
c) since I torqued at unladen height as per repair manual - how could this happen? (arm did not appear to be under undue stress at any point!)

2) more important: I now get a grinding noise - though it is intermittent - sounds like the brake pad has come unseated and gets "stuck" to the disc. If I press the brake it goes away. Is there an easy way to get the pad to stick back to the calliper or do I need to get open it up/get new ones? (or could something else cause this?) As I said, It took a lot of heat/banging etc to get the front of the lower arms out!

Any help is much appreciated.

W.

calum
28-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Are you sure you didn't bend the disc guard, it's easily bent and can rub on the disc. Jack the offending side up and turn the wheel, see if you can find the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmccann
29-08-2017, 01:06 AM
Are you sure you didn't bend the disc guard, it's easily bent and can rub on the disc. Jack the offending side up and turn the wheel, see if you can find the culprit.

Thanks, that seems to have been it, was bit bent but now sorted.

Anyone have thoughts about the fluid that potentially came from the control arm?

Thanks,

W.

calum
29-08-2017, 03:16 AM
There's no fluid in the control arms. What colour is the fluid, engine mounts have fluid in them that is purple l believe.