PDA

View Full Version : 2016 B8 cutting out randomly, with hopeful fix

Award1244
25-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Hello, new member of the group here.

A couple of weeks ago when going to work, my car cut out just after setting off on one of the busiest traffic light crossroads in Bolton. The car would then not restart via the starter button for over 2 minutes. I could not move it as the parking brake had engaged, and there is traffic whizzing around you. No error messages on display, and then it started and I was off. 10 minutes later it cut out again just as I parked at work.

Went into dealer the day after and they could not diagnose the fault, but did do the parking brake software update.

On return, the car was horrible to drive, with the revs constantly dropping off alarmingly when setting off, and the parking brake feeling very 'grabby'.

Last Friday it cut out again in the rush hour on the roundabout over the M62 at Warrington. Again it took 2 minutes or so to restart. On Sunday, it did it again and I notices dashboard lights which were not there before hen it happened. It was saying 'start car manually' (impossible as button), then 'immobilizer active'. The glow plug was lit with both messages. I managed to take photos this time, as I was parked at the time.

Anyway, the car came out yesterday, and they have re adapted the ECU and replaced the fob batteries. Basically emptied the ECU and rebuilt the software. What a revelation. It now wants to drive smoothly again, and on my usual journey home, ti achieved a displayed 58 mpg, rather than the usual 51-53.

So it looks like it is fixed.