PDA

View Full Version : Scratched bumper

ismart
21-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Scratched my bumper the other day [emoji22] unfortunately.

Local VW body shop quoted £400 for repair. It's not dented just scratched on one corner fairly deep in parts.

This sounds expensive to me, what do you think?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Scott K
22-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Try one of the smart repair guys or a local body shop (non VW).

jimgironde
22-08-2017, 07:52 AM
That seems very expensive if just scratches, but VW body shop is not cheap.

Is the car yours or is it leased/pcp etc i.e., are you responsible for quality of repair upon returning car?

A repair on the corner of a bumper should be relatively simple as it does not have to blend with adjacent panels. Why don't you see what Chips Away have to say. Whilst I would never use them for a body panel, a scuffed bumper is what they excel in, although any repair is only as good as the person doing it.

ian.roger.smart
22-08-2017, 07:55 AM
It's my car, so want a durable job done as I'll likely keep it for another 8 years. Was a bit concerned about overall quality of smart repairs.

gamichea
06-09-2017, 10:37 PM
My one experience of a smart repair was not good. It was some years ago and things may have improved. It was a scratched front bumper corner and the issues were that it was not nearly as durable as the original paintwork and suffered badly from road debris strikes and appeared to fade.

Official VW body shops are not all expensive. The one I use in fairly rural Lincolnshire charged £34 + VAT per hour in September 2016. Its quality is excellent. It was assessed as VW's top body shop a few years ago based on VW's official customer feedback. The workshop rates are also reasonable. I have had my VWs looked after there since 2006. They were very good at diagnosing and fixing my troublesome B6 Passat which earned my loyalty. In addition to low overheads due to location this is a one outlet family business, not part of a big group with all that would imply. You may not be fortunate enough to have such a resource nearby but there might be an independent body shop that has VW approval or perhaps more important one that is generally well regarded in your area.

ian.roger.smart
06-09-2017, 10:48 PM
A local family run body shop has quoted £280. Sounds more reasonable, I don't have recommendation though but they've been in business for 70 years. Hopefully a good sign.