arctic blue
28-10-2007, 03:50 AM
new passat sept 07.

smile per mile factor brilliant.

query: when travelling on motorway i seem to need to keep

correcting straight line travel. didn't get this on golf or touran i previously

drove.

friends got a mondeo ,this doesn't do it. he's driven mine + agrees with

me. it's only minor, but can be irritating in heavy traffic at speed.

anyone else feel the same.

passat 2.0l tdi dsg 17" alloys if that helps

thanks , artic blue

Santana
29-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Yes, I feel exactly the same. It's the only serious criticism I have of the car. My old B5 estate was rock solid on the motorway. This car feels very vague. As you say, in heavy traffic it's much worse because I have to concentrate so hard. It makes motorway driving really tiring.
If I take my hand off the wheel for second the car does NOT veer off to one side, so it's not like the car has a mind of its own.
When cornering the steering is very good and the handling excellent so that's not the problem. But straight ahead at 70 mph, I find, is woolly.

My wife hasn't noticed the problem - she is happy. But for me it really spoils a great car.

carl s
29-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Have to say mine doesn't do anything like that. The steering is electro-hydraulic which means that the dealer can alter the feel of the steering, how heavy it feels etc. There are many settings, and most VW group cars have this now.

For example the review of the current Seat Leon on Honestjohn.co.uk http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=213

mentions:
"The gearchange and cornering grip are good too. But if I owned one I’d whip it straight into a VAG dealer and have the steering weight re-set heavier via the OBDII port. As mine came, it was too light and feel-free but all current VAG electro hydraulic steering can be re-set by the garage to six different levels of assistance..."

I hope this helps, I can imagine that if it was set to the a light setting it would be quite wooly at speed.

Santana
29-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Have to say mine doesn't do anything like that. The steering is electro-hydraulic which means that the dealer can alter the feel of the steering, how heavy it feels etc. There are many settings, and most VW group cars have this now.

For example the review of the current Seat Leon on Honestjohn.co.uk http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=213

mentions:
"The gearchange and cornering grip are good too. But if I owned one I’d whip it straight into a VAG dealer and have the steering weight re-set heavier via the OBDII port. As mine came, it was too light and feel-free but all current VAG electro hydraulic steering can be re-set by the garage to six different levels of assistance..."

I hope this helps, I can imagine that if it was set to the a light setting it would be quite wooly at speed.

Now that is what I'd call a useful post! Thanks very much, that's brilliant. I knew the steering was electro-mechanical and therefore potentially adjustable, but assumed it was fixed in the factory for ever.
You've really made my day. (Must get out more.)

carl s
29-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Happy to help !

Be warned that car dealers often will deny all knowledge of things like this unless you present them with evidence. I would go armed with a printout of the Seat review or similar. Alternatively you could find a more "friendly" dealer.