PDA

View Full Version : Audi Concert volume SUDDENLY VERY LOUD!!!!

wanstronian
22-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to drag this one up again... but is there actually a fix for this problem? Has anyone tried pointing out to Audi that this is an obvious design flaw and therefore a potential candidate for recall???

wanstronian
25-08-2006, 07:47 AM
I'll take that as a 'no' then.

Huweth
25-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Why not give some more explaination of the problem, then maybe people could point out some causes/solutions...
"Suddenly very loud" doesn't say anything about the circumstances.

wanstronian
28-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Well, it's a well-known problem, so I didn't think I needed to spell it out. But for those who aren't aware:

With the slightly older Audi Concert stereos (mine's a '99 model), the volume control has a known fault whereby, after a certain amount of time (a few years), a slight nudge of the volume knob (in either direction) causes the volume of the stereo to go to maximum. As the unit warms up over 10 minutes or so, this ceases to be a problem.

It's apparently a problem with an internal buffer, to do with it storing each incremental change of volume and eventually filling up. I've heard that the chip can be replaced, but don't know if this is true.

Just wondered if anyone else out there had had their unit repaired, who did it, how much did it cost etc.?

dai mason
06-11-2006, 10:59 AM
did you solve your radio problem dai

Hi all,

Sorry to drag this one up again... but is there actually a fix for this problem? Has anyone tried pointing out to Audi that this is an obvious design flaw and therefore a potential candidate for recall???

wanstronian
06-11-2006, 04:51 PM
No, I still get the problem. Much worse now the weather's turned cold!

The only thing I've ever seen is the website of a Romanian electronics company that claimed the chip inside the radio can be replaced.

Other than that, the only advice I've seen is to ditch the radio and buy a different head unit/CD changer, complete with ugly blanking plate. :(

dieselmonkey
11-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Why don't you just ditch the unit and get another on ebay:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws %2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=Audi+Concert+&category0=

Just confirm with the seller that the fault is not present beforehand.

gazza57
11-11-2006, 11:39 AM
I have a 2001 A6 2.7T with a concert radio which also gave the same problem. A Russian Website mentioned in another thread here led me to an exact diagnosis of the problem.
The volume setting is stored in a chip in the unit at switch off so that this setting is applied again when the unit is switched on again.
The original software supplied when the unit was new had a glitch in it whereby the setting was also stored in the chip every time the volume was altered as well as every time the unit was switched off.
This meant that the chip very soon filled up and defaulted to either zero or maximum volume and hence the fault described.
There is a solution, I sent my unit to a company called OE Electronics of Calne near Swindon. They have a website just type OE on google and you will find them.
They replace the Motorola Micro Controller and Memory chip, and update the software to solve this problem. The cost was £80 inc VAT and PP.

Now any reasonable person might think that as the faulty software had been in the radio since manufacture and therefore had been originally supplied in a substandard condition that Audi UK would accept some responsibility for meeting at least part of the cost of correcting an inherent design fault.
I wrote to Audi outlining the facts above and received a letter from them today stating that basically any contributions toward repair of components outside of the 3 year warranty are purely made as a gesture of goodwill.... and yes you guessed it there wasn't any!
I don't know why I expected more from them, they are just reverting to type.
My experience of Audi is a relatively short one but seems to be the same as many other Audi owners, the cars are wonderful but the dealers and the parent company....oh dear.
I have my car serviced by a local garage who is thorough, professional and places a high value on customer service, I don't think I need to elaborate further.
:zx11:

Froggy
13-12-2006, 02:57 PM
I hope this doesn't break any forum rules, but to save people looking other sites up etc.

I work for the firm concerned, our details are as follows;

O. E. Electronics Ltd
6 Fourbrooks Business Park
Stanier Road
Calne
Wilts
SN11 9PP

For the Mk I Concert's, if you mention these forums in a covering letter, we will do the processor replacement for you, for £68.50 + VAT, (£80.49p inc VAT) this includes return carriage. (this is our normal trade rate). If the problem is caused by anything else we will supply you with a estimate.

I am a VW/Audi fan so if I can help with any other Audio related issues please post in these forums and I'll try and help. :1zhelp:

KEVMAC
08-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I hope this doesn't break any forum rules, but to save people looking other sites up etc.

O. E. Electronics Ltd
Stanier Road
Calne
Wilts
SN11 9PP

For the Mk I Concert's, if you mention these forums in a covering letter, we will do the processor replacement for you, for £68.50 + VAT, this includes return carriage. (this is our normal trade rate). If the problem is caused by anything else we will supply you with a estimate.

I am a VW/Audi fan so if I can help with any other Audio related issues please post in these forums and I'll try and help. :1zhelp:

Froggy,

Would you consider looking at my stereo, the fault started with a crackling left front speaker and now no audio output at all, all I get is a high pitched whine when engine starts with occaisional bangs and bumps from the speakers.
I have confirmed the head unit is faulty by
1)removing the front speaker wiring block from the back of head unit - strangly enough non of the above indications
2)fitted my unit in mates car - same fault
3)fitted mates unit in my car - audio system works perfectly.
Is this a known problem? and how much to fix? (if at all possible!)
Regards,
Kev.

Froggy
08-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Kevmac,

It may be a main PCB problem, poor internal connections, although without actually seeing the unit it's very difficult to tell. It certainly doesn't sound like the usual fault.

I would suggest packing the unit up carefully and sending it to us - simply enclose your details and ask us to do you an estimate based on what we find.

Froggy

shadwell_lad
10-02-2007, 11:46 PM

O. E. Electronics Ltd
Stanier Road
Calne
Wilts
SN11 9PP

For the Mk I Concert's, if you mention these forums in a covering letter, we will do the processor replacement for you, for £68.50 + VAT, this includes return carriage. (this is our normal trade rate). If the problem is caused by anything else we will supply you with a estimate.

Hi Froggy,

Very interested in your companies services as my Concert I suffers from that problem.

Can you confirm if your remediation is a permenant fix (i.e. you have been able to amend the code on the chip) or the problem will occur again over time (i.e. you just replace the chip)? Also, is the work guaranteed?

Thanks,
Roger

Froggy
12-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi Froggy,

Very interested in your companies services as my Concert I suffers from that problem.

Can you confirm if your remediation is a permenant fix (i.e. you have been able to amend the code on the chip) or the problem will occur again over time (i.e. you just replace the chip)? Also, is the work guaranteed?

Thanks,
Roger
The processor we fit has revised software, so in theory at least the problem shouldn't re-occur. I don't recall ever having one returned with the same problem where the IC had failed again.

Simo
15-02-2007, 11:41 AM
:biglaugh: Result......so thats what the problem is!

Froggy-How long do you normally have the head units for before despatching them back?

Cheers

Froggy
15-02-2007, 12:12 PM
:biglaugh: Result......so thats what the problem is!

Froggy-How long do you normally have the head units for before despatching them back?

Cheers

Depends on how busy we are but normally 5-7 working days.

u60js2
19-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi all,

I had theis problem with my concert stereo but solved it with a second hand stereo bought on ebay.

I have the problem in that they guy that had the car before me had disconnected the sub (in the boot) and the rear speakers and used the fadder to control the volume. Now I have a concert stereo that works fine does anyone know how i can access the rear speakers and sub to reconnect them?

A3, 2000 X reg 1.8 petrol

Jesus
19-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Froggy. I have the same problem. I live in Spain. It would be possible to repair my concert radio in your service; or otherwise, do you kinow someone in Spain that can repair my radio.

Thanks

Jesus

Froggy
22-05-2007, 04:00 PM
You are more than welcome to send the unit to us - I would have to check the return carriage price. If not try

José M. Coll
Poligono Pont Cremat,
Parcelas 7 y 8
17401 Arbúcies-Girona Tel. +34 (972) 86-05 76
Fax +34 (972) 86-11 13
aec.arb@eservinet.com

They are listed as Service agents in Spain

Redactuk
11-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Just bought a '99 A3 5 days ago and getting this problem :(

1. Does anyone know if this fault was corrected by Audi in any later revisions to the Concert stereo?

2. As my model is the Radio/Cassette I've been thinking about hunting around for later replacement anyway that has a CD. Does anyone know if this fault was limited just to the Concert model or other models also?

Any help appreciated.

Froggy
11-07-2007, 02:23 PM
1. Yes and No - There are different versions of the Concert I, however they are not easy to identify. The very late ones were internally different, however without specific model/part numbers I couldn't easily tell you the differences.

2. Not easily done. The Concert II unit is a different size, and is CAN-Bus operated, meaning it's very difficult (impossible even?) to make work correctly, as the data feeds are not present in the older cars. :(

Redactuk
12-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for your reply. Think Ill have to take up repair offer. How does payment work for replacing chip i.e. invoice or CC payment over phone?

Cheers

Froggy
12-07-2007, 10:16 AM
We normally do CC over the phone after we've looked at the unit, it's simple and quick.

If you do send it in make sure that it's insured and signed for, we have had a couple of things "vanish" in the ordinary post :-(

Muncho
19-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi Froggy, sounds like you'll be getting a few stereos to repair soon. I also have the "volume with a mind of it's own" problem and live in New Zealand. I have exhausted all avenues to get it repaired here but have been told the IC is shot. Can I send it to you guys to have a look at?

Froggy
19-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi Muncho,

By all means, I would warn you about the carriage costs to return it to you though, I haven't checked but they could be more than the cost of a second hand unit!!!

If you recently spoke to my colleague - he mentioned the possibility of the board being damaged - is that correct?

audinut
20-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi Froggy,
You might be able to help me too - previous posts all look familiar ...
Symphony 1 sound system has a line or two missing from the display, and just today I noticed while driving that the volume started fluctuating between 14-18, then stopped moving. I live in Wiltshire but work away, so maybe you could take a look one weekend ?

Froggy
21-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi Audinut,

We would be happy to have a look, although the volume fault is not a common one on the Symphony. It may be a front panel issue, certainly the display is. Unfortunately not a cheap fix, and parts are difficult (slow) to get hold of.

Weekends you would need to PM me to arrange a meet up, as we luckily don't normally work Saturday's.

audinut
21-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi Froggy,

After twiddling with the volume yesterday I found that turning the volume knob while putting pressure downwards on it convinces it to do as I ask. Possible dry joint then ?

When it gets too much I'll drop you a PM. Thanks! :D

Froggy
21-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Possible dry joint then ?

Could be - I think the controls sometime go a bit intermittent as well from memory.

n566631
10-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Hello Froggy,

...from your kind answers we do understand that there is a software upgrade needed and also the chipset that holds the volume/volume knob mapping replacement.
...so please help me understand why it has to be cold outside for the problems to come up ? (because when there are like 15 celsius and above absolutely no problems)

kind regards,

Alex

A6 C5 AEB stock

Froggy
10-10-2007, 09:27 AM
That's a very good question.

This is only an educated guess, we can only assume that the EEprom failure within the main mirco is also slightly temperature reliant. Maybe a IC internal powersupply failure, or even internal IC circuit failure.

The other possibility is dry joints on the main board which can give similar failure modes.

n566631
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Hello Froggy,

so...
there is a universal knob and some functions that need adjustments. (Volume, bas, fade etc).
I can guess that the knob and its very own module is working properly under any temperature, as it is delivering linear behaviour to bas/fade/etc

The problem is (and here i don't know): the volume module is a separate one ?(and special modules for each bass/fade etc function) ? or there are all under the same chip.
If they are under the same chip, the power supply that chip has embedded is out of the questions, as bas/fade etc are working properly.

If there is a separate module for volume, than it must be the problem.
...if there is a "buffer overflow" problem, than a reset switch could do the trick ?)

Thank you !

Froggy
10-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Not quite how it works. The data for these settings is all stored within the main processor EEPROM/RAM.

In simple terms, my understanding of the problem is, that the location the volume information is written to will no longer reliably hold it's programming due to being written to too often. This means that the location defaults to either FF (Full volume) or 00 (No volume). The locations for storing the bass / treble / fader etc, are only written to occasionally and do not suffer the same problem.

The failure of the specific location is obviously an electronic failure and therefore could be temperature related.

The revised processor and associated software changes, alter this behaviour and prevent the problem re-occurring.

mad-for-tar
24-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Froggy,

Got this prob too in mine, seems to have deteriorated somewhat in the last few days due to the temperature plummet! Will be another one winging its way to you in the near future! BTW, do you have ways of extracting codes for these head units? Have to get some small parts from the local ******* so might try them to get me the code while I'm at it. I assume the light in button 3 flashes if the code is enabled. Not disconnected it yet for fear it does need a code but I believe it recognises the original vehicle it came from so prob not much to worry about. Thanks.

Froggy
25-10-2007, 10:17 AM
The unit will come back to you with a code number attached, if you can get the original code it is always helpful, but not absolutely essential.

Galejade
06-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi Froggy,

I am facing to the same problem. I am located in France. I was wondering if you could chip me the part such as I can replace it by myself.

Additionaly, could you provide with the company email adress ?

Thank you

Froggy
06-12-2007, 10:33 AM
I'll PM you the details.

Boshman
08-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi Froggy,

Can you PM me the details of the chip too please. Can you prog one up and send it me to fit my self. I do surface mount stuff all the time at work.

Thanks

b2danm
11-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi

A lad at work has recently bought a W Reg A4 and has a problem with the volume control in that:

1). If he turns on the radio, then the volume is set, as soon as he tries to alter the volume it goes to 0 then right up to full volume. The only way to cure this is to turn off the unit and back on.

Is this the problem the problem relating to the topic or a different fault? It only goes load after the volume is attempted to be changed.

He wouldn't mind this except the volume is just that little bit too loud for town driving!

Dan

Froggy
11-12-2007, 05:44 PM
That sounds just like the problem, and the unit is the right sort of age to be affected.

paul b
11-12-2007, 11:46 PM
That's a common volume control fault.

satyr
26-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Froggy,

My Audi A2 also has a faulty volume Concert Unit. Could you MP me with the details (price and postage fees) for the chipset with stable embedded software to France ?

Many thanks

Froggy
28-01-2008, 04:34 PM
PM Sent

mattie
31-01-2008, 11:17 PM
I've got a 98 A3 with the same problem. It's gone a stage on, however, and there are certain periods where the sound level raises and lowers by itself, it never goes completely one way or the other, but it's irritating as hell!

It still jumps to full blast when changing the volume, but only intermittently.

I assume the two problems are related?

Froggy
01-02-2008, 10:32 AM
I've got a 98 A3 with the same problem. It's gone a stage on, however, and there are certain periods where the sound level raises and lowers by itself, it never goes completely one way or the other, but it's irritating as hell!

It still jumps to full blast when changing the volume, but only intermittently.

I assume the two problems are related?

You may actually have a faulty volume control as well as the more normal problem. It's not particularly difficult to fix, and would add approx. £10 - £12 to the cost of repair.

AudiBoyBits
01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Froggy
I would be interested to know if you could supply and how much for a programmed chip that I could install myself. I work with SMD's on a daily basis so install should present no problems.
Very best regards

Froggy
01-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Froggy
I would be interested to know if you could supply and how much for a programmed chip that I could install myself. I work with SMD's on a daily basis so install should present no problems.
Very best regards

PM Sent !

mattie
05-02-2008, 07:03 PM
You may actually have a faulty volume control as well as the more normal problem. It's not particularly difficult to fix, and would add approx. £10 - £12 to the cost of repair.

cheers froggy

merttan
10-02-2010, 11:42 PM
I know this thread is almost as good as my concert unit... but I'll give it a shot...

I wanna start with a damnation to motorola which makes the pretty much the worst of anything it tries...:cussing:

As anyone could expect it's the same faulty stereo with a cassette stuck in it... :1zhelp:

The car is about 10 years old already... :o So I am somewhere between "screw it, get an aftermarket tech-savvy stereo" and "aftermarket won't fit in the car, well at least it would be an eyesore.":confused:

I live in Turkey and you can simply assume that there is almost no Audi specialized technical support other than "yea we can get a replacement" answer... :zx11: So be a gent and please help me out of this dilemma...:1zhelp:

Whom can I call to get some quotes on repair? How much would it cost, at least ballpark it for a recent price... :1zhelp:

Thanks all for helping and at least sharing my frustration... :notworthy

crashcarter
12-02-2010, 10:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Faulty-Blaupunkt-Audi-Concert-Repair-Service_W0QQitemZ120529268213QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Local_Services_Other_Local_Services_ET?hash=item1 c101aadf5

crashcarter
12-02-2010, 10:46 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-CONCERT-REPAIR-SERVICE_W0QQitemZ300396323308QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_ Car_Audio_Players_PP?hash=item45f10421ec

jckfun
09-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Hello Froggy,

I have the same issue with my Audi A2. When I turn the auto radio ON, and turn the volume button a bit, the volume is at MAXIMUM level until I turn it quickly...
Can you please send me by PM the details on how to program the chip, or better tell me if you can provide me that by postal letter.
I can install it by my self.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

stumpy2733
21-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Hello People. Just bought an A4 Avant estate, 1999, my 1st Audi. The radio scared the s..t out of me when I went to lower it down, went to full volume. Searched your forum, common fault, have tried ringing O E Electronics as listed in the thread from a few years ago, number unobtainable. I live South France, but can anyone advise me on firms in UK (or a new number for O E electronics) where I can mail radio/CD for repair. It's an Audi Concert bose. Thanks

Froggy
22-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm afraid O E Electronics are no longer trading, however if you contact Car Audio Technics Car Audio Technics (http://www.cat-essex.com/) they still offer this repair service.
Sorry I can no longer help.

stumpy2733
22-04-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm afraid O E Electronics are no longer trading, however if you contact Car Audio Technics Car Audio Technics (http://www.cat-essex.com/) they still offer this repair service.
Sorry I can no longer help.

Ok, thanks, will do.