PDA

View Full Version : Solved VW Polo 6R, loud engine rattle when cold - timing chain

MHDxMK5BK
07-08-2017, 10:34 PM
I'm just writing this one up to help others as this seems to be a common issue with the chained (not cambelt) 1.2 turbo petrol engined Polo 6R.

Intermittent tractor like rattle when cold, clears after a few seconds but the time varies quite a bit.

Several posts around the internet about smashed valves where the timing chain has jumped teeth. Also a few posts about good will fixes from the dealership with 100% of parts and 70% of labour discounts being applied.

So I venture into the dealership near work and endure a shedload of the sales guy's waffle and after a pushy interaction (I think I annoyed him) he said they would apply a similar discount (100% parts / 60% labour). The number of £400 was produced which I agreed to on the spot as I'd got the same number out of an independent ex-VAG guy about an hour before! It took them a week to turn it around, maybe as punishment for annoying him, not that I was keen to drive it around with such a fault.

The actual costs were listed on the "Complimentary Visual Health Check" doc they gave me. £1591.14 including VAT! The form says: "There is a TPI for this problem with modified parts needed". Apparently VW will pick up the tab for the rest.

Here is a video (not mine) of the sound
1.2 TSI faulty timing chain rattle - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Szy2gDHmg)

Polo 1.2 TSI 77 kW (105PS) A05 6R1 4F2 (Mk5) M6F CBZB

MHDxMK5BK
16-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Actually the side cover and a bunch of other things has been replaced, maybe a good one for the dealership to handle after all.

As the sump was removed it's a shame they didn't replace the gasket rather than stick the old leaking one one back on and just tell me about it afterwards! Sigh...