PDA

View Full Version : Problem Starting Polo

roymarsden
22-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Hello All,

Just wondering if anybody could shed some light on my Polo starting problem. I have a Y 2001 polo 1.4 match and i have started having a problem when starting it in morning, after finishing work, any time really when the car has been left to sit for a while. When i first turn the key to start it, it makes a strange sound.(it doesnt start) then it starts straight away second time turning the ignition key. It has been raining alot recently where i live and i was wondering if it could anything to do will water getting in somewhere in the engine???

Any advice would be a great help.

Regards

ROy.

carelectrician.co.uk
26-08-2006, 11:54 PM
The strange noise might be a lazy fuel pump but a common cause of non starting under your conditions is the coolant temperature sensor. Needle in haystack comes to mind, how about having it code read?

nickbridgeman
20-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Roymarsden,

Did you manage to resovle the issue with your Polo? Mine appears to be doing the same thing. I was wondering whether you'd be able to point me in the direction of a resolution.

Thanks,

Nick

Crasher
20-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Is it a loud clangy (?!?!) grinding noise?

g40jon
21-02-2008, 09:42 AM
does the strange noise sound similar to when you have a flat battery? the ignition switch on mk4 polos are prone to failing and give a similar symptom to having a flat battery. turn the key a few times and it will normally fire after 5 or 6 goes. does your car have an immobiliser also? more info needed really

jnrspoon
18-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Hello,

Did you ever solve the problem? Only I got in my 1995 1.3 polo tonight, which for a couple of weeks has been starting on the 2nd turn (1st turn no sound, nothing). I started the car fine, then turned the lights on and everything instantly cut out. There's no power at all now, not even the central locking works. I'm wondering if it's a fuse that's blew or maybe the ignition as the battery reads 100%

:1zhelp:

Crasher
19-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Could be the ignition switch, a common failure on the Polo 6N.