PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Issues with stop start

Amylee1982
28-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Hi people

I am truly at a loss with this. I bought my Audi A3 sport TDI a fee months back and from day one the stop start doesnt work it comes up with an A with a line through it. It does work however if the engine stalls but not when at traffic lights for example. It was also cutting my engine out when i was driving at a lower speed which wasnt very safe.

I have had someone look at it with the computer and was comming up with the aircon but nothing that should cause this problem. The battery was tested and was shown to be reading 120% which was strange the alternator was reading 0 to start and the he manage to get a proper reading eventually on something else. He couldnt sort it so i sent it to someone else and he change a battery connector which was a fault and also put a stop start battery on as it didnt come with one...the people i had bought it from had bought a cheap battery and when i looked at the car it had been jumped started which was strange as he claimed the battery was new but told me it didnt come fully charged also strange...anyway those things were rectified but it still caused a problem...they tried to switch off the stop start and it would not allow them...they somehow solved the engine cuttin off though...so now he as given up and as no idea either. The computer used was vag com. Its literally blowin my mind...i wondered if it had been remapped or if the battery jump start had caused issues...its just strange that it works if you stall it.

I would be so greatful for you help or any input

Thanks in advance

HotDawg
01-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Hi

Might need some more questions to be honest. What is the question you want answering exactly now? Also what do you mean by it works if you stall it? Surely an engine cuts out when stalling anyway? Or does you doing what would normally cause a car to stall active stop/start?

From what I understand, the most common cause can be the outside temperature. Afterwards, it's worth checking the battery capacity; check the correct capacity is programmed in the ecu (VCDS or equivalent); check the charge sensor (fitted to -ve sensor) isn't defective.

Before giving further info, i'd need those first few questions answered.

Amylee1982
02-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Hi i mean the stop start works if i stall the car. It kicks in and restarts it but when i get to traffic lights for example it doesnt work. Im wanting to know what the fault could be as 2 garages have looked at it and are at a loss. The battery was showing 110% but it as been changed to a stop start battery along with the battery connector changed and still did it...i am taking it to someone else today so i will ask them to check that. The issue is various vaults are coming up mainly the battery and aircon but nothing to warrant it not working according to the garage people.

Thanks so much so far thats great advise.

HotDawg
02-08-2017, 02:49 PM
How odd. What's the temperature like where you are in the world? Are other devices in your car working? Check the user manual as well - it may give clues as to what is required for it to work.

Let me know what they advise you. Would be interested to hear if they can get to the bottom of it.

MrSmithr
09-08-2017, 03:05 AM
Could be as simple as a faulty switch. I'm too interested in the outcome of this.

Amylee1982
14-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Hi

Still no luck. I have the stop start battery on now but not made a difference. The temp is fine and everything else works spot on no other issues. As i said if i stall the stop start restarts the engine no problem its mind boggling.

Problem is i have it booked in with Audi but im not sure if to even go for it as ita 60 diagnostics which i already paid else where and then its £70 per hour labour on top of the warrantys £50 and i just cant afford it.

Is there anyway i can check a switch or sensor myself to see if its faulty?

Its really doing my head in.

Thanks

Zoe

Amylee1982
14-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Hi

How do i check these? Can i do it myself?

Thanks

Zoe

MrSmithr
14-08-2017, 06:30 PM
You'd need a multimeter to test for voltage at the switch.

There is also a possibility it could be a fuse. What year/model is your car?

Also where are you based? There might be a member here that has vcds (same thing Audi use to diagnose faults) saves yourself £60 and instead give them beer tokens, quids in for both :).

Amylee1982
15-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Hi

Its 2010 2.0 Sport TDI.

That would be amazing. Such lovely people on here thanks so much. Well i think i actually have a diagnosis.

They are saying battery regulation control unit...however i had a diagnosis before which brought up a fault called control module for battery monitoring. Can i ask is this the same thing? As they both said no communication and the precious guy checked this and it didnt rectify the issue so i wondering if this will even fix it.

I do now have a proper Exide stop start battery so can rule that out. It as been coded and still have the same issue.

So if regulation and monitoring are not the same then may be on to a winner.

Will keep you posted 😀

Amylee1982
15-08-2017, 08:33 PM
00458 control module for battery monitoring (J367) that was the fault originally which he changed and the error came back on and didnt fix it.

Then now its the battery regulation control unit but didnt get a code with it

Thanks

royleblue
15-08-2017, 09:50 PM
I have had similar problems with my current BMW X1 (for another 2 weeks). The stop/start works occasionally but not all the time. I mentioned it at the first service and they kept it overnight to fully charge the battery and it worked for a few weeks. The dealer said that as I drive mostly local, the battery never gets fully charged although I drove from Co Durham to Devon and back and it was only towards the end when it decided to work. I still have never got to the root of the problem as the dealer just blamed my short journeys, even though all the loan cars they gave me (all autos) were if anything too sensitive and stopped even when I didn't want it to. In the end I just accepted it as a bonus when it worked. My main concern was that the battery was on its way out.
i know this doesn't answer your question, but it could be just down your journey type. Has it ever worked?

Amylee1982
15-08-2017, 10:11 PM
No hun its never worked. Well not in 4 months anyway the only time it does work is if i stall the car. So its very strange tbh. Im hoping that this rectifies it and if it doesnt then ive no clue lol

But i will update once i get it sorted if the warranty agree to it. I have to call them in the morning.

Its so frustrating eh although im wondering if it does get fixed i will regret it as ive heard it can be a pain. But i do have the option to switch it off if i do.
😀

royleblue
15-08-2017, 10:26 PM
If mine stalls (and it does quite easily if you try to pull away in 2nd) dipping the clutch will start the engine again. The easiest way to stop it cutting in (when it works) is to keep your foot on the clutch at traffic lights. This won't work though when I get my A3 next month as it is an auto. I will have to adapt my driving style to suit I suppose.

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 12:45 AM
There are a number of things that can result in no communication with a control module, connector/wiring or faulty module.

Did the mechanic test the module? Did they also test the alternator? It's all connected. I would also recommend having the battery tested as even new batteries can be faulty. Sometimes the cells become damaged in transit.

Electrical faults are the worst to diagnose but we'll do our best to help :)

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Hi

They have said they need an harness...can i ask please if a battery regulation control unit is the same as a control module for battery monitoring?
The control module was changed and the code went off then when driven came back on and didnt rectify the issue so i want to make sure they infact different parts.

The harness which they described as wiring basically is what they are sayin overall they need.

Im so so stressed with this and its goin to cost me 140 quid on top of the 60 i already paod for diagnosis so i want to make sure its right.

Im so thankful for your help i could literally cry as the warranty company have said they wont cover it as its not on their list grrrr

So basically i need to firstly know if they are different parts lol thank you in advance xx

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 04:32 PM
3 faults came up previous i dont know if it will help.
02071 local databus 012 electrical fault in circuit

02252 generator 004 no signal/communication

00458 control module for battery monitoring (J367) it also says this on another page. 03406 control module for battery monitoring...004 no signal/communication

And on another page says

Battery regul. Status. Cannot be reached 1100

Maybe this will help more i dont know.
Oh and CAN gateway status. Malfunction 0010
Auto HVAC status malfunction 0010

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Sorry me again. The warranty say its not on their list can anyone confirm exactly what the part is classed as cos im sure it should be covered. Thanks.

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 05:24 PM
No need to apologise :).

Unfortunately the warranties are pretty much useless they cover the basics alone under 6k miles/time period whichever comes first, and rarely cover the cost of parts. Only in exceptional circumstances.

Replacement Parts Warranty

All Audi Original replacements parts carry a warranty for a period of two-years/unlimited mileage from the date of purchase. Items with warranties
in excess of two years will be advised to you at the time of purchase. The two-year warranty does not apply to parts fitted under the terms of the vehicle warranty,
which are warranted for the remaining period of the vehicle warranty.

The Wear and Tear and Service Adjustment policies applicable to new vehicles also apply to Parts Warranty.

Source (https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/audi-insurance-warranties-and-service-plans/audi-warranties/audi-warranty-terms-and-conditions.html)

It really would be helpful to know someone locally that has VCDS because it will save this massive headache between forking out for diagnostics which isn't really diagnostics anymore,
they just connect the computer to the on board diagnostics and read out any stored faults, without actually delving into why these faults occur which is what diagnostics should cover.
Audi being Audi charge more than independent mechanics albeit still costly and much more favourable to know someone relatively locally with VCDS and the trips between the mechanics
that are supposed to find out the problem instead of throwing parts at the car charging you an arm and a leg and hoping it'll fix the problem. Anywho, I hope this information
is of any help.

02252 - Generator
004 - No Signal/Communication

00458 - Control Module for Battery Monitoring (J367)
004 - No Signal/Communication

Without proper communication to the above, the Gateway can not properly handle the Generator and Battery functions.

- You should verify you have the correct battery, the stock battery can be found by VIN decoder or vehicle build sticker
- You can use non OEM/Audi batteries, I find that using a battery from Audi is best because the Gateway controller will know that battery by part number and that was what the vehicle systems were designed around.
- sad how they try to prevent aftermarket parts so much

- You will then need to teach the Gateway the new battery when these faults have been corrected.

Battery Adaption (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Battery_Replacement)

- Next you will need to evaluate the status of the LIN-Bus for the Gateway controller, this can be done by looking at Measuring Value Block group [006]
Here you will find the following:

Generator Communication Status and Battery Sensor (J367) Communication Status

- If you find a value of (1) - this indicates there is LIN-Bus communication at this time, a value of (0) means no signal/communication with that component.
Which will indicate a fault in the wiring.

- You can also view some information about the Generator within the Advanced Measuring Values when connected to the 01-Engine.
Select the following:
066 - Generator power (watts)
067 - Generator load signal (%)
181 - Supply voltage Terminal 30 (volts)

Failing that the harness replacement to locate and help inspect the wiring harness, connections and components for any concerns.

Let me know how it goes

Side note:
- Auto HVAC is to do with climate control/aircon, would need more info about the fault to be of any help.
- CAN Gateway status is difficult to say without anymore information.

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 06:14 PM
I feel really disappointed with it tbh when i paid extra for extended warranty. I wont be renewing it that is a fact.

Whats a VCDS? shout out to anyone who as one or knows of anyone reading this please heeelp lol

I have had a brand new exide battery but on and coded. Audi also recoded it and adapted it aswell so that should be ok. Well it wants to be for £160! Thanks x

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Did you see my message about the difference in module battery monitor and the battery regulator? As im wanted to confirm if the are the same part or not.

Thanks

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 06:17 PM
VCDS = Vag Com Diagnostics System

Where are you based? I have it but I don't know how local you are.

I had issues with my battery at first (also exide) but my car is considerably older (2004).

Audi should have done it correctly at least and ensured that it was compatible if you had it done at audi.

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Well they said they set it up and coded it so hopefully.

Im in derbyshire. Someone already tried vag com in sure.

The start stop wws a problem before the exide battery

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Fair distance. I'm from Lincolnshire.

Yeah vcds is useful for so many things. Reading active data, diagnostics and adaption/coding. Enabling features that might not necessarily have been activated but installed, for example the blip blip when locking/unlocking the car. Auto locking when driving above 15mph and auto unlock when removing the key from the ignition.

Also retrofitting newer features on older cars. It also gives information about modules which can help you locate parts cheaper sometimes.

Judging by the sound of what they said it seems to be the harness because there's no communication to both the generator and the battery control module they go hand in hand. It's no surprise that they expected you to throw money on parts in hoping that it would fix it.

You say your a3 is 2010? I'll see if I can find a part number and search up a price to make sure they're not overcharging you.

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Hi thank you so much. Yes a3 sport tdi 2010.

Its not too far prob hour or so.

Its £140 odd labour which is more than the part. Its just crazy. Just want it sorting hate things not being right.

Only had it 4 months and had issues from day 1 they had to give me 500 back to have something done after few days so im just so disappointed

Thanks so much for your help i really do appreciate it.

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 07:55 PM
That's a good thing at least they gave something back.

It's certainly all connected. You say they've already replaced the battery voltage regulator? Or the battery control module?

Did the mechanic provide you with the full log of faults?

There's a lot of fitments of particular parts, many are very specific even down to the part number ending character.

Just trying my best to help :)

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 08:08 PM
They have changed the battery monitoring unit not the regulator. This is confusinh with the names of them lol

The 1st time i had it yes. With Audi no.

I asked and they wouldnt give the part number. They gave a written report where the one before was a proper print out x

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Shame, you have a right to that information after all you've paid for the service.

It can be confusing but both are correlated albeit two different parts.
Audi and their infinite wisdom seem to think that adding more and more functions that aren't necessarily practical as such only add more problems and more ways for them to take money from people like us.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it. Have they quoted you a price for the harness replacement?

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 08:14 PM
I cant find how to attach pics.

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 08:19 PM
I know im really annoyed she was being rather vague and i told her that too. I said my previous diagnostic was more indepth. I may ring back and say i want the full print out cos they are withelding it tbh all to prevent me going elsewhere by knowing the exact item no.

She just said harness and thats it.

To fix it all with labour its over £200 i dont have the exact amount until i get home.

Its just not fair they are overcharging and the diagnostic was £60 and as you said i should have the paperwork.

Thanks again

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 08:20 PM
I don't think you can on mobile, on laptop/PC you can click the image icon on the bar but you have to upload them to somewhere like postimg.org.

Failing that you can email them I'll pm my email address. Or not it won't let me 😕

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Typical they don't do anything for less than £150. It's shocking.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Let me know how it goes.

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 08:42 PM

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 08:43 PM
i think i have managed to upload it but upside down haha can you read them ok?

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 08:50 PM
That's cracking. It happened all within the same hour so and only appears to have logged the fault once. Does your car auto start/stop at traffic lights?

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Just to note the parameters for start/stop to work.

Basic conditions:
The driver's door must be closed
The driver's seat belt must be buckled
The bonnet must be closed
The vehicle must have been moving at over 4km/h since the last stop

Engine does not switch off if:
The engine has not yet reached the minimum temperature required for stop/stop mode
The interior temperature selected on the air conditioner has not been reached
The exterior temperature is very high or very low
The windscreen is being defrosted
The parking aid is switched on
The battery charge is too low
The steering wheel is close to full lock or the vehicle is being steered
Reverse gear has been selected
The vehicle is on a steep gradient

Just noting that in case any of these things have happened when you noticed the fault.

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 10:38 PM
It doesn't work at traffic lights and never as in the 4 months i have had it. The only time it works is if it stalls. When im at lights it comes up with an A with a line through it but when it stalls the stop start kicks up and comes up on the dash its so weird.

I dont have a parking aid button on my model.
It should be workin i have checked the conditions and everything fits. It doesnt work on long distance either. I drove 2 5 hour journeys a few weekends ago and never worked. Its strange how it always works when i stall it.

��

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 11:03 PM
How about climate control? Aircon?

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 11:21 PM
That works fine although it did come up with a fault. I will upload pic of that bit see what you think lol

MrSmithr
16-08-2017, 11:38 PM
Sure no problem

Amylee1982
16-08-2017, 11:51 PM

MrSmithr
17-08-2017, 12:09 AM
Thanks, that's to do with the quality of air when using recirculation. It disables the vents if the air quality becomes dirty. You could ask them to replace it under warranty (worth a shot).

Amylee1982
17-08-2017, 12:22 AM
Who audi? I doubt audi warranty will even be in play now the car is 10 years old and i didnt biy it from them nor is the extended warranty with them. I wonder if i could wangle that done free if i have the other done with them lol so you dont think thats the issue for stop start then..the aircon?

Amylee1982
17-08-2017, 12:23 AM
Its amazing how much you know. Im in awe! Think i may become a mechanic ive been thinkin about a future career venture lol

MrSmithr
17-08-2017, 12:30 AM
There's a hell of a lot of information to take in that's for sure.

The fault could play a part in it. Anything electrical cause depend on other things and if one sensor or something isn't functioning it could produce other errors. It's bizarre, I was diagnosing an airbag fault a few weeks ago, turned out to be the connector but when reconnecting the battery (never want an airbag detonating in your face) it gave another fault code for the steering angle sensor and the esp light. Recalibration of the sensor and a short drive resolved the problem thankfully. Just impossible to rule anything out.

I would try your luck with them. Worth a shot for sure.

Also thank you, there's a lot for me to learn still haha 😂

Amylee1982
17-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Its just crazy to think that changing the harness may not even fix the issue. Its so frustrating. I bet it is for you aswell puttin in all the hours but not being able to charge the customer for the whole days work.

Well ive rang Audi customer service and asked why i didnt get given the diagnostic report. They are going to contact them and get back to me.

At least you properly diagnosed that cos they havent in my eyes! They have just rushed it. They had it from 9 till 5 and only looked at it after 3 when i rang up to see how far they had got. Just a joke. So in 2 hours they diagnosed it washed it inside and out oh and gave me a valenting pack as a free gift...very sly i think. Making out they are really looking after you pmsl

Amylee1982
17-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Its just crazy to think that changing the harness may not even fix the issue. Its so frustrating. I bet it is for you aswell puttin in all the hours but not being able to charge the customer for the whole days work.

Well ive rang Audi customer service and asked why i didnt get given the diagnostic report. They are going to contact them and get back to me.

At least you properly diagnosed that cos they havent in my eyes! They have just rushed it. They had it from 9 till 5 and only looked at it after 3 when i rang up to see how far they had got. Just a joke. So in 2 hours they diagnosed it washed it inside and out oh and gave me a valeting pack as a free gift...very sly i think. Making out they are really looking after you pmsl

MrSmithr
17-08-2017, 01:08 PM
They certainly don't rush. Hopefully the harness does fix it.

Keep me updated

Amylee1982
18-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Hey hun

I got the part number although they put a U on it for some reason grrr so couldnt find it at 1st. So they was charging me over double not to mention over an hour to fit it which is ridiculous. It looks like its the same part i had removed. 1K0915181H so this is it. And with it not fixin the issue before im not holding much hope but tbf it wasnt coded which i think audi said it needs which i dont really trust. Lost all faith with them now. Over £200 althogether for something thats about £50 inc VAT just unreal.

Thanks

MrSmithr
18-08-2017, 06:44 PM
A little different to what they suspected. This is a battery terminal cable. Not sure why they would replace that exactly unless they have physically diagnosed this to be the fault.

They charged you £200 to fit this part? Which albeit secondhand but perfect working order costs £15-20 for the part number you've told me (1K0915181H)

eBay (http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=222615053757&alt=web)

I hope this does fix it for the sake of your sanity and your purse. If it doesn't I would be in two minds to take it to an independent mechanic who actually has competence rather than a 'throw parts at it in hope that it fixes the problem' attitude.

Amylee1982
18-08-2017, 10:51 PM
Hi

This is the part they are saying it is...i literally dont trust them at all. So are you saying this isnt the same part as what they said? The harness. Well if it doesnt fix it they can seriously get ready. Sorry the £20 was a used its about 40 odd for nee but managed to get him down to 35 so we will see. Its just an absolute joke. I think im going to complain anyway because something doesnt add up with them.

Thanks

MrSmithr
18-08-2017, 10:56 PM
A battery terminal cable wouldn't really be considered a harness.

My fingers are crossed that this is the cure to the problem although I can't see it being the issue otherwise other things wouldn't work.

Amylee1982
18-08-2017, 10:58 PM
Thats very strange eh. Do you think they are telling me tales? Its funny because they put a U before it and it didnt bring anything up it was only when i rang europarts they said to take the U off the start of it and it came up with the part. Its just so wrong. Im calling them tomorrow.

MrSmithr
18-08-2017, 11:03 PM
I certainly would be on the phone to them tomorrow. Have they given you full details of their diagnosis yet?

********hips are famous for charging a large fortune for incompetent work.

Amylee1982
18-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Nope still havent. He just said i have the part number but i shouldnt be giving it to up. Infact im going to email them and then there is a paper trail then.

MrSmithr
18-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Absolutely. They shouldn't be allowed to withhold information you've paid for.

Let me know the outcome

Thanks

Amylee1982
18-08-2017, 11:41 PM
I sure will. Thanks for your support with this. So kind of you to give up your time to help a stranger. This forum is amazing!

MrSmithr
25-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Any news on this?

Amylee1982
25-08-2017, 12:02 PM
So weird i was about to message you lol well Audi well and truly ripping me off but i had someone fit the part today after gettin the part number and gettin the part off ebay and the fault went off and then came back on. It took him 5 mins to change it and they wanted to charge 140 quid for 1.1 hours work. Fuming. So Audi have agreed to try the part (which is already now on) so will take it on the 7th and see if they have an extra bit they can do if not the other guy said he will swap it back so i can sell the part on. Audi said if it doesnt fix it they will look free of charge...they did say they would fit the part for no further cost only because i kicked up a fuss and they know they are tryin to rip me off. £35 i got the new part for theu want over £100 pound. What i dont understand still is how the stop start works when i stall it doesnt make sense how it can if i as problems with communication with the monitoring unit. Unless it uses a different method. Just really busying my head �� hope your well.

MrSmithr
25-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Could be a number of things. Cars are very strict in how their functionality works. Even though the part isn't broken if it's replaced you know for sure that if you leave the new one on then you have peace of mind and then have the old one as a tester component.

Things are well, I'm diagnosing an aircon fault because this heat is just murder. Went to get it regassed because vcds was showing as low refrigerant but still no joy. Will have to look further into the issue. Annoyed the hell out of me because after that went to get fuel and then the car wouldn't start.

Stuck in a busy petrol station midday is no fun, worst thing about it is the station was unmanned (pay at pump jobby). Thankfully there was someone there to help jump-start. Battery is reading 14.16v with the engine on which tells me the alternator is working so hopefully it's just a battery problem and not parasitic draw from something because the latter are a pain to diagnose.

That aside I hope they really get the bottom of it. If you know the part that needs fitting you could get someone else to fit it, you're not obliged to have audi fit btw.

Thanks for the update too :)

kiranpithwa
16-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Apologies for the late post - I was wondering if changing that part had resolved the issue or did Audi find something else to be the cause?

Thanks in advance

MrSmithr
17-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Apologies for the late post - I was wondering if changing that part had resolved the issue or did Audi find something else to be the cause?

Thanks in advance

This was aimed at the OP, right? For mine it was the starter motor. Never did get the aircon fixed but now I no longer have the car it had to go due to major rusting.