PDA

View Full Version : Your experiences

Brett Thorpe
27-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum but as we are hopefully about to buy our first Audi. We are looking at an A4 1.9TDi saloon which was one of the first of the current style on a 54 plate registered in Jan 05. It has 39k on the clock and is spotless.

I have previously had a Passat with a 90bhp engine and used to get over 50mpg as an average out of it. It never had any problems and never let me down.

Firstly, has anyone had any negative experiences with A4 1.9TDi? I have a couple of friends who have them and have done between 80-90k without any issues. Are there any particular faults i should look for? What sort of MPG are people realistically getting from this engine.

It has GSM prep in the armrest and a multi-function steering wheel. Do these seem to work OK? Any phone problems? Is there somewhere i can buy the NOKIA phone module cheaper than Audi?

It does not have iPod prep but from reading the forum the Audi version is not so good anyway. Is there anyone out there that does full integration with the multi-function wheel that uses all menus on the iPod?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

Brett

barryburbs
29-10-2007, 10:46 PM
hi Brett, I bought a 1.9tdi in march 06, avant not saloon but info may help. Reliability has been faultless, never a hitch. I have gsm with cradle for nokia in armrest and I bought mine cheaper off of ebay. I then found I have bluetooth too so you may not even need a cradle if you phone has bluetooth. Multi function wheel fine although I had a weird experience and had mine replaced. My original steering wheel seemed to 'wear out' very quickly, I think some top layer of shine came off so I managed to get it replaced. I had my glove box openeing lever break, inside so I couldn't open the glove box. Apart from that, loved it, great car. I get about 47mpg in it. This unit is 115 bhp. Mines done 32k now.

Brett Thorpe
29-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that. I collected a 2005 1.9TDi saloon tonight (one of the lowest mileage ones i could find as they all seem to be 60k+). My other half didn't like the Avant although i have to say i think its a better looking car. Still, she's the one who drives it 6 days a week while i get the van!

I am not sure that the bluetooth function is available in my car or did this come as standard on these models?

I ordered an iPod adaptor as that was top of the list. I have looked on ebay and there seem to be quite a few 6230/i cradles around and i have an old 6230i lying around. Of course i would have prefered to use my current phone. As i posted in another section, i would have thought by now that someone would have come up with a generic Nokia module as most have the same connection on the bottom of the phones.

I filled it up and it instantly said 675 miles to refuel so it's looking good on the fuel. My old Passat used to give me 50+ and it had 140k on it.

Thanks again

onzarob
30-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Hi,

i would have thought by now that someone would have come up with a generic Nokia module as most have the same connection on the bottom of the phones.

I have a Nokia CK7W installed in my Audi which integrates with the stereo, gives bluetooth or manual connection to all nokia phones :D

Brett Thorpe
30-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that. I may end up with the bluetooth as both of us need to be able to connect our phones when we each use the car.

How do you find the bluetooth? I used to have an early one in another car and i had problems with connections dropping out.

Is the unit invisible as i was trying to keep the clutter away from the interior? The car has a multifunction steering wheel which i was hoping to take advantage of using this function. How does the Nokia kit answer?

onzarob
30-10-2007, 10:21 PM
My unit is behind the stereo so completely invisible, apart from the control dial. I use a Nokia 6300 and a N70 and neither has lost connection in the year i used it;)

Brett Thorpe
30-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that. Sorry if i'm being a bit naive but this presumably then goes through the stereo and mutes it when in use?

Also, can you answer the phone using the multifunction wheel or do you press the dial/controller on the Nokia kit?

Is there a built in mic somewhere in the Nokia kit or does it utilise the mic in the GSM armrest kit already installed?

This sounds more like what we need so we can both have different phones.

:beerchug:

Cheers

Brett

Brett Thorpe
31-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has a spare GSM adaptor for the armrest prep. I have found out that if the adaptor is fitted then any bluetooth phone can be used with it. This means i just need any adaptor to slot on the GSM prep already in the car.

I was going to put this in the wanted section but as i dont yet have 10 posts and the query started out in this section then i thought i would chance it and just ask.

If you have a spare one then drop me a line on 07811 500 300.

Cheers

Brett

barryburbs
31-10-2007, 07:06 AM
I use a 6310i and with bluetooth on (on the phone) when I get in the car the car sees my phone. I just bung it in the armrest (I took the cradle out when I descovered bluetooth working) and away I go. You answer the phone with the steering wheel left wheel button and the mic in in the car somewhere. The music mutes and the caller comes through on the stereo speakers. Having a cradle in the armrest is good for charging the phone.

Brett Thorpe
31-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Great, so i guess this means i dont even need the cradle then?

barryburbs
31-10-2007, 08:52 PM
I don't need a cradle. I thought you had the car now so you'd of tried it?

Brett Thorpe
01-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Hi,

I have tried it now and it works fine with my Nokia E60 but can't seem to function with my 6230i or my girlfriends LG Chocolat (but then nothing does!)

I will look into the 6230i issues later but i'm happy the main phone does. No cradle needed.

Thanks for all the help.