PDA

View Full Version : Question What is the cause of Noise from engine?

Josana
23-07-2017, 11:39 PM
My 2006 Passat 2.0dti 140S has developed a rattling noise in the engine. It's early stages but I stopped and parked it immediately. What is the course? Any ideas please.
It only has 95000 on the clock.

Rob69
24-07-2017, 09:13 AM
A well known fault with those engines at that sort of mileage is the oil pump drive failing, your rattling could be a symptom of low oil pressure, dual mass flywheel is another rattler, does the noise change when you dip the clutch? hopefully though it's something simple like a loose exhaust, auxy belt tensioner or plastic cover, hard to say without seeing and hearing it.

Josana
31-08-2017, 09:22 AM
I thought I might give feedback on the engine noise question I posed about my 2.0 dti Auto 2006 with 97k mileage after I took it to VW in town. They surprised me by saying the noise was the first symptom of the impending clutch failure that I should expect in 6 months time. I told them this was an Auto box car; they answered yes but it has a manual gearbox with a clutch that is operated by sum clever electronics.
I was relieved even though I still have to fix the clutch.

Crasher
31-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Yes the DSG still uses a DMF but you can get these aftermarket from LUK for much less than a VW dealer and have it fitted by an independent. The clutch pack is completely separate to the flywheel, being inside the box, so you do not need to do the clutch, in my experience these last around 200k miles. With it being a 2006 I would strongly recommend that the sump was removed and the condition of the oil pump chain drive system checked, if it is worn, system should be converted to spur gear drive.

Josana
04-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Thanks Crasher, I am taking your advice seriously. I would not like to lose this engine through silly mistakes when I have been for-warned. So my priority is to remove the sump and check what is going on with the oil pump. But I have now encountered a stumbling block with the sump bolts. The 2 between the engine and gearbox are located inside some long narrow holes and have an awkward angle which prevent a prower grip with both the No. 10 and the allen key. Does anyone know how I can get them to turn without rounding the ages? I am now desperately looking for a mobile mechanic. I have spent money on new tools in vain. I also want to change the hexa-pin drive as well as the cam-belt and water pump.

Gazwould
04-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Engine code ?

nevo
04-09-2017, 03:59 PM
you need a long hex allen key with a ball end but depends whether you can get them out with the flywheel in situ.

Crasher
04-09-2017, 05:44 PM
I use a long ball ended 5-mm hex key or a 1/4 " drive wobbly end extension with short 10-mm socket depending on the bolt design.