PDA

View Full Version : Please Help a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance

LeeTanczos
22-07-2017, 12:44 PM
as subject, I was moving out from the kerb and stalled, might have pushed the key to restart while turning steering toward full lock... I was a bit panicked because someone had just driven past and whalloped my mirror so I was going to turn round and get after them. when engine restarted, red steering wheel lamp and "steering fault - do not drive" type messages.

I've driven it home with no power assist, checked all fuses at each end of the dash, I cant see which one is the power steering one at the "+" panel at the bulkhead, it seems it might not be visible although I thought it would be one of the bolt on strip ones there.

I've no scanning software except torque-lite and an ELM bluetooth obd2 so I could upgrade or get a different app if it can access/scan further systems

Torque lite doesnt show any fault codes at the moment.

I'm thinking of trying the rest of the fuses, and disconnecting the battery maybe... ?

I'm in chester and need the car for work so appreciate any assistance (happy to pay for skills/scans etc... need it fixed)

lee lee.tanczos@gmail.com

o7753

Lukenkarl
22-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Have you checked the auxiliary belt. It might have snapped.

LeeTanczos
22-07-2017, 02:48 PM
I didn't actually, but I think this car is electric power steering?

LeeTanczos
22-07-2017, 03:01 PM
I'm thinking of looking for codes with torque pro. and then disconnecting the battery for a bit.....

LeeTanczos
22-07-2017, 04:56 PM
nowt from torque. 2.95 bargain though.

battery leads off right now... wait and see. will give it some hours as suggested by some threads.

LeeTanczos
22-07-2017, 04:58 PM
i guess it might need re-learning its settings #if# it comes back...

(Hello RichardSEL!! remember you from ukpassats forum)

If you don't have VCDS, then can only suggest you disconnect battery both terminals. Then connect the leads together so to zero any outstanding voltage. Then connect battery again, and start engine. Try again my post in message #16.

If that doesn't work to switch off the red steering warning on dash, do this (from VCDS help site fault 02546)

Make sure the Ignition is ON and the Engine is Running.
Center Steering Wheel (10) and hold it centered for about 5 Seconds.
Turn Steering Wheel completely to the Left and hold there for about 2 Seconds.
Turn Steering Wheel completely to the Right and hold there for about 2 Seconds.
Center Steering Wheel (10).
Switch Engine and Ignition OFF. Wait one minute
Switch Ignition ON.
Wait about 5 Seconds.
Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF (If it doesn't, perform a short Test Drive).

If that doesn't work then post your VCDS Autoscan so that others with knowledge can see what modules you have and their settings. Many USA forums ( e.g. PassatWorld and VWVortex) have lists of VCDS owners that are willing to help out locally.
See their lists for one near you?

Hope that helps...

LeeTanczos
23-07-2017, 12:50 PM
nothing changed except decluttered the boot to get to the battery.

I'm worried it will be a new rack needed probably then, boo hoo.

Gunnark100
23-07-2017, 04:45 PM
new rack needed probably then, boo hoo.

This might be final result yes, did you cleared errors any of those was related to no comms with address 44 etc, there is tsb also for this!

LeeTanczos
23-07-2017, 07:01 PM
yes I found BB-REMAN page offering repair/exchange. hope it wasnt some google driven advertising nonsense. 450 + VAT oof... lifetime waranty at least.

seen the youtube on how to change the rack over... rattle gun, 12point socket and surprisingly straightforward it seems.

I haven't done any scans other than torque pro... it doesnt pick anything up for me.

still getting used to this forum... dont understand why the "new reply" on the left is so small - like too small to click, and the one on the right quotes the entire previous message... presumably this will be the cause of many bloated forum threads with most messages quoting the entire previous message...:aargh4:

Gunnark100
23-07-2017, 07:18 PM
I have reply and quote button both on left side(one on right, but i never use this)...so i use only those on right side, depending need for quote something or not...

hit translate button on your browser after opening the link, one sad story...mainly electric part(module) fail and steering system recording low voltage and red symbol on cluster...so before purchase anything read errors with vcds and clear them, luck may follow as some people do not get error anymore, but people have replaced racks, updated sw etc, never ending story with audis:):
*** рулю ч.3 — Аберштольц снова в деле! *ешение проблемы "красный руль" — бортжурнал Audi A4 Аберштольц 2012 года на DRIVE2 (https://tinyurl.com/yarb7epy)

b206
25-07-2017, 10:21 AM
If you were at full lock and your mirror was knocked by some **** then they probably knocked your wheel as well. Something is obviously damaged.

You need to get it diagnosed properly - either garage or find someone with VCDS. If you have an error on the dash it will be logged.

No point buying expensive parts hoping they fix the fault.

LeeTanczos
01-08-2017, 02:13 AM
yes I thought same and checked the tyre and rim, nothing. have had is scanned with vas5054 device and controller doesnt respond. tried to tell it a new rack fitted please readapt and still it wouldnt play, seems something pooped inside the electronics.

had a rack paid for and being sent, but they found it damaged and cancelled/refunded me dammit... so looking for a lster version for reasonable cash, or bbreman will repair it but means car off the road for a week while htey do- they have no spare ones on the shelf for now.

The Russian thread does seem exactly analogous.

LeeTanczos
02-08-2017, 10:14 PM
so another late model rack coming. mechanic and me at odds whether it will fit. breaker/dismantler sounded confident and knew his audi vehicles, the russian thread also says any revision of the rack will fit/work so I'm hoping so. Hope to receive rack by end of week, and fitting could be saturday am if all goes well. had a lot of bad luck recently so somethings gotta go my way.

LeeTanczos
10-08-2017, 12:41 AM
ok so its going in for the rack to be changed over tomorrow am (Thurs)...

LeeTanczos
12-08-2017, 04:25 AM
ok so job done, rack changed over, tracking set up, rack coded to car and all good. steering assistance restored... been driving it for a fortnight unassisted so seems far too light now... combination of being fixed, plus I think possibly they gave up with the steering feel on this rack version or the software is a version which doesnt give as much feel/ is over assisted. there might be some options to the level of assistance I'm not sure, will get used to it anyway to some extent I am sure... what a relief to be able to drive wherever I want now with relative ease haha. so now to see if there is buyback anywhere of the defectice rack for reman purposes...