PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch to 1.8 TSI ?

heronaddict
15-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Hello everyone, first proper post although I have pm'd another user regarding ergo seats.
I have a B8 Passat GT 2.0 TDi 150 ps on order, build week July 24th.
I have just noticed that VW have added a few new petrol engines to choices and I am drawn to the 1.8 tsi,180 ps, 7 speed DSG
I was never very keen on the diesel, but that is all there was to choose from at time of ordering.
The DPF regen' etc was bothering me as we mainly do short journeys.

I would welcome your views on this 1.8 petrol and links to any reviews/opinions.

Should I switch or stick with 2.0 diesel ? I have about a week to change my mind !

Many thanks

Trevor

Guest 2
15-07-2017, 04:15 PM
If you're only doing short journeys then the most obvious and sensible answer is to get the petrol.

The diesel will also break your heart as it's not getting journeys more suited to a Diesel engine.

jmagee
15-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Previously I'd have said stick with Diesel but after having a hire golf estate with the 1.4 TSI I've changed my mind. The petrol engines are awesome and if you don't let the diesel stretch it's legs you could have dpf issues.

Get the petrol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

heronaddict
15-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Thank you Chris.
I appreciate this engine is new to the b8, but are there any previous reports or problems on other models you may know of ? Also the dry 7 speed dsg. Very difficult to search for any known issues.
Thanks again

Guest 2
15-07-2017, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't worry too much as that's what the warranty is for.

If you're planning on keeping it after 3 years then option is there for an extended warranty.

heronaddict
15-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Thanks for advice jmagee

Crasher
15-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Diesel is evil, bad naughty dirty diesel, bad toad.......:nana:

jmagee
16-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Diesel is evil, bad naughty dirty diesel, bad toad.......:nana:
What about this new super diesel technology? Supposed to be cleaner than petrol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Gazwould
16-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Super diesel tech to cut emissions by 60 per cent | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/100060/super-diesel-tech-to-cut-emissions-by-60-per-cent)

Indeed , diesel has a future , the infrastructure is already there..

Despite my ramblings of egr and dpf deletes which will raise NOx and diesel particulates I'm actually all for reducing these but not at the loss of drivability , power and mpg .

Let's get rid of these rubbish egr and dpf's which I hear of trouble with every friggin' day and get a decent hopefully reliable after treatment like this 48V catalyst .

However it fails to address the diesel particulates , but there has to be a better way and cheaper than developing an electric car infrastructure .

heronaddict
16-07-2017, 01:39 PM
I appreciate everyone's input.
I'm now thinking about the 1.4 tsi ACT also.
A bit underpowered for a big estate perhaps ?

Thanks again.

Crasher
16-07-2017, 04:07 PM
What about this new super diesel technology? Supposed to be cleaner than petrol

Nope and as Gaz says it's not the NOX that is the real problem, that is just the one getting some press at the moment, something to do with a big company not playing by the rules, or something like that, fuss and bother over nothing if you ask me....:boggled:

Particulates are THE problem and particularly ;) the PM2.5's that are produced by the EU6 standards including petrol engines which are now going to need a GPF, a Gasoline Particulate Filter, it has all got silly, daft, out of control; they are all Band Aid fixes, just a plaster over a gaping open festering wound... These problems are the result of a manic obsession put in motion 20 years ago; the pursuit of reducing man made Co2 and EVERYTHING else has suffered as a result. The aims of lower Co2 with lower NOX emissions don't work together, drop one and the other goes up and vice versa, a no win situation and electric or hydrogen cars are not the answer and neither is bio fuel in its first or even second generation formats. I personally don't know what the answer is to our need/desire to move around freely AND the ability to be able to move goods around BUT I do know that diesel in cars was a really bad idea (but not in commercial vehicles) and that electric cars are an environmental disaster waiting to happen, one that will make the decision to go down the dirty diesel route look like a bad choice of shirt colour in comparison. I just hope I am dead and buried before it happens.

heronaddict
31-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Hello again, just a quick update.
I decided on the 1.8 TSI with dsg. Order amended on Saturday. Within hours though, I read that these can have an oil usage issue.
Is there anything to worry about with this or has this problem been solved now ? Any input appreciated thanks.

Crasher
31-07-2017, 12:02 PM
It should be OK now, the design was changed a few years ago.

heronaddict
31-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Thank you Crasher. Much appreciated

YawnGumbo
02-08-2017, 01:24 PM
We had the 1.8TSI on our old Octavia Scout and it was a lovely engine. Pulled really nicely and was very smooth. It towed our caravan with no problems and actually wasn't too bad on the consumption front considering we had the 4x4. It did have a tendency to drink oil in the last year of our 4 years of ownership, but if that's now been addressed then you should have a nice ownership experience with this engine.

heronaddict
02-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Thanks very much YawnGumbo, appreciated

mike6265
13-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Just a quick question to heronaddict or any 1.8 TSI DSG owner.
If you now have the car, is the left footrest for the DSG (auto) the same as in the diesel (TDI) car?
I ask this as I have always found the VW Passat foot position very comfortable (left foot resting in line with left shoulder). Whereas the BMW and Audi are pushed to the right so left foot in line with centre of body causing discomfort on a long journey.
I ask as I haven't found a petrol car to check this.
Thanks, Mike

heronaddict
13-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Hi. Can't tell you I'm afraid, mine is due in about 5 weeks.

heronaddict
10-10-2017, 02:32 PM

Hi again. Picking up my Passat GT next week. Very excited ! I was apprehensive about the Manganese Grey, my wife's choice. It looks much better than I imagined thankfully.