PDA

View Full Version : Driver's window fault.

Oddball
27-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Greetings once more.

Again the shed defies me. I was driving down a cobbled street yesterday, and tried to open my window, but the winder won't budge. The window is stuck shut.

I'm gonna take the door card off anyway, but just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas. I'm making a wild guess that the cobbles have perhaps worked something loose, thus jamming the mechanism.

Cheers, Fergus.

a8 tech
27-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Try this first.Open the door so the interior light is on, press the window switch down and watch the brightness of the light as it should dim if the motor is reciving voltage(current).If it dims its a sign that the wiring is ok and the fault is the motor or the regulator is tight.If it doesnt dim then check for open circuit especially in the A pilar where the wiring breaks from the door being opened and closed.

a8 tech
27-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Try this first.Open the door so the interior light is on, press the window switch down and watch the brightness of the light as it should dim if the motor is reciving voltage(current).If it dims its a sign that the wiring is ok and the fault is the motor or the regulator is tight.If it doesnt dim then check for open circuit especially in the A pilar where the wiring breaks from the door being opened and closed.

Oddball
27-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Sorry dude, manual windows. I should've been more specific.

autobahnfahrer
30-10-2007, 11:46 PM
The window winder mechanism often goes all of a sudden. Time for a new one. Expensive at VW, around 30 quid. Try Europarts or GSF for a more reasonable price.

What happens is usually that the wire gets trapped in the crank and the more you try, the more it gets jammed.

Count yourself lucky that it jammed in the shut position. Mine did the opposite.

Easy to replace, just make sure you install the regulator so that the window itself is not obstructed. Mind the top end: it should go inside the top properly. I am sure you'll work it out.

drfungu5
06-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Sorry dude, manual windows. I should've been more specific.
if you're after a manual window reg, i've got more here than i know what to do with. send a fiver and some postage with areturn address and i'll get one out to you.
Lee