PDA

View Full Version : EGR Ouch!

theskyfox
11-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Afternoon,

After 6 years of problem-free motoring, my 3.0TDi decided to kick me in the wallet today. Started off yesterday - was driving home from work and had the Coil light start to flash along with a loss of power. Looking in the manual it simply said "Take to a workshop". Took it to my local indie this morning who did a fault scan - turned out I had two faults. One on the DPF, and one on the EGR system. He reckoned the DPF fault was likely because of the EGR fault.

Anyway, looking at a new EGR Valve + cooler - roughly £600 + several hours labour to fit. Basically unlikely to see much change from £1k.

I did ask about cleaning of them, but he reckons its hit and miss and not necessarily worth the effort. I've said to go ahead and do the work. *sigh*.

I still love the car though, and want to keep it a few more years. Just have a bit less pocket money for the next month...or three!

-Andrew

Gazwould
11-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Blank egr , gutt dpf and Stage 1 remap .

Around £450 and will drive better than ever with a real mpg gain .

Crasher
11-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Ignore Gaz, he is an environmental hooligan. The EGR valve on a 240PS (what I judge to be) CAPA engine is 059 131 501 H and they cost £270 genuine, you don't necessarily have to spend an extra £152 on the flap and £270 on the cooler, these are easy to clean, if nasty to do but no grease monkey should be afraid of a little EGR goo. Euro Car Parts have 34 of these in stock under their part number 424441200 for £240 and Pierburg made them in the first place. The flap and cooler are not available aftermarket.

mhurer
11-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Have you had the emissions software update? I only ask because EGR and DPF faults are now common for cars with the software update, to the point where Audi appear to be paying up to 100% of cost.

Gazwould
11-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Not for 3.0 , just 2.0 and 1.6 .

theskyfox
12-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys for all the responses. It's been rather eye opening. I'm not looking for a remap or DPF delete - happy with the car's performance and just want it back on the road. I think my garage just can't be bothered with cleaning it and probably see it easier just to replace it. I need the car for work and need it back asap, otherwise I'd consider taking it elsewhere. Btw there is no software update for the 3.0tdi - it was the 1.6 and 2.0 models affected. I'll post the final cost in the end. Glad at least I didn't go through main dealer....

Regards, Andrew

Crasher
12-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Not for 3.0 , just 2.0 and 1.6 .

Btw there is no software update for the 3.0tdi - it was the 1.6 and 2.0 models affected.

err not strictly true actually on the 3L CRTDI, there is in the NAR market and there are rumblings.... also see Watchdog tonight at 8pm.

theskyfox
12-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Thanks Crasher. Just did a bit of googling and can see now. Is the 3.0TDi software upgrade in the UK yet? I'm very likely to decline the upgrade based upon the experiences other people are having!

P.s. Car still in the garage. They phoned me earlier to say they noticed an oil leak whilst there in the bottom of the oil filter...and asked if they want me to replace the O-Ring on it. Said yes since they are there anyway...

regards

Andrew

Crasher
13-07-2017, 10:55 AM
VW and the US authorities such as the EPA, CARB and if I remember correctly West Michigan University are still arguing about the engine software and also a new potential issue in the 3L TDI 4WD gearbox software that has come to light, which lowers Co2 emissions when the car is on rollers... the saga continues.

theskyfox
14-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Update: Cars back on the road. My wallet has been relieved of £1300...though it wasn't all EGR. Turned out the leak on the oil filter was in fact a leak on the oil cooler which in turn needed replacement. Most of the cost was the labour required to strip everything back and access the components. Ah well..fingers crossed nothing else goes for now!

-Andrew