PDA

View Full Version : Question A7 Quattro front to rear tyre wear tolerances

Andymcdonald
10-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Had a call today from my Audi dealer. Car is on for 38k service 64 plate.

Front tyres are 6mm and tears are 3.5mm

Although they are legal the tech is stating that there is a 2mm tolerance between the front and rear which if not adhered too could cause esp/abs issues

I find this hard to believe that 0.5mm in wear would affect performance? Considering the fronts always wear faster within 90 days they'll be in tolerance

What do people think?

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alex c
10-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Is he an ex Formula 1 technician?

Although a more worn tyre has a slightly smaller circumference. But surely we're not going down that route? Probably more issues around different tyre pressures/road surface etc to worry about.

Just my opinion anyway (although changing the rear set is pretty darn close - there are some threads on here with good deals)

Rob69
10-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Quattro experts may know better but AFAIK having different rolling circumferences front and rear makes the centre diff work harder than it needs to, 2mm tolerance so you're just over at 2.5 mm for a thousand miles or so until the front wear down, maybe no problem. I suspect a long high speed motorway run would make the diff work hard and run hotter than usual, knocking round the doors less so.

Gazwould
10-07-2017, 04:54 PM
I think the rears would wear faster than front because of the quattro 60/40 split .

Andymcdonald
10-07-2017, 06:58 PM
I've replaced fronts at 32k car has traveled 37k now so I'm sure I'll get another 10k from the rears. Personally I don't think the .5mm makes any difference. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

robbyg
02-08-2017, 07:41 PM
i suspect the 2mm is rubbish. 5psi air pressure could make that difference too, or a a heavy load in the boot.