PDA

View Full Version : Rumbling/noise when press clutch down

A4B6Cab
02-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Our A4 cab 3.0 sport (6 speed manual box) has developed a rumbling type noise when you press the clutch down, i pulled away this morning and heard/felt it (it vibrated the dashboard to start with), i pulled off the drive and went to end of the road and decided against it so parked up again, then pressed clutch down and the noise had almost gone away (I wouldnt of noticed it had it not been for me actually listening for it)

Any ideas guys? Am hoping its a quick/easy fix as shes had a lot spent on her recently

Cheers in advance

Crasher
02-07-2017, 12:35 PM
It could be the DMF, release bearing or clutch but all three mean mean the same thing, box out and new kit plus DMF. There are other possibilities, has the front of the engine been worked on recently?

A4B6Cab
02-07-2017, 03:43 PM
It could be the DMF, release bearing or clutch but all three mean mean the same thing, box out and new kit plus DMF. There are other possibilities, has the front of the engine been worked on recently?

Hi Crasher
Only thing its had recently is a new camshaft position sensor, then it went back as the same error came back again. But that was about 5 or 6 weeks ago, other than that, no other works. Any idea what the gearbox work is going to cost me?? :(

Crasher
03-07-2017, 12:01 AM
No idea without hearing it. A new dmf/clutch set would be roughly £1k fitted.

A4B6Cab
10-07-2017, 06:33 AM
😳😢 blimey, not a pleasant thought Crasher... the Mrs had just informed me a couple of weeks ago she was sat in traffic and pressed the clutch down to select 1st gear, and 3 or 4 times ended up getting 'reverse' instead, eventually tried it and got 1st and pulled away, she's been driving our Audi for 7 years and never had that problem before.. not sure if that info helps with the fault description?

Crasher
10-07-2017, 09:06 AM
I can't see it causing gear selection inaccuracies, that would be a linkage problem. It baulking when going into gear yes, but not selecting the wrong one.

A4B6Cab
18-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Hi Crasher, just had news back I didnt want, the noise is the thrust bearing so it will mean gearbox out, and part alone including a dual mass flywheel will be £500ish, plus labour so basically not worth getting done, am gutted.

Are thee any cheap fixes to ge me by for a few weeks, or would you use it until it gets worse, as I cant be without a car?

Crasher
18-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Why is it not worth repairing it?

A4B6Cab
18-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Few problems with it, roof doesnt work (something wrong with the mechanism, not a problem as i never had it down anyway even when it worked), the Mrs scraped the side (rear quarter) when parking it, so its probably only worth £1500? So I didnt think it'd be worth spending £1200 on it??

Am open to suggestions though... Even wondered about getting clutch done without the DMF? (to keep the cost down, as its only done 105k approx)