PDA

View Full Version : Excessive wind/road noise - driver door

tornado_17
30-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Hi guys,

The noise coming through my driver's door seems excessive compared to other cars I have driven. I sometimes subconsciously go for the window switch as it sounds like the window is open very slightly. I've had a closer inspection and all of the other doors seem to close tighter by a few mm.

I can fit my finger in the seal cavity between the door and body frame just underneath the grab handle on the driver's side, but I definitely cannot with all the other doors. The strike plates for both front doors seem to be positioned the exact same distance from the edge of the door pillar. Also when using the door handle to open the driver door I don't get as much of a satisfying "clunk" from the handle as with the other doors.

When visiting a VW dealer the other week (to buy a golf! :p) I checked out the latest Passat R-Line on display. On the very bottom extremity of the door, running the entire length of the door was a seal. I have what appears to be a groove along the length of the bottom of the door, but no seal! (all doors) - see attached photo. The only seal I have is the spongelike one as you can see.

I am very interested to hear if other members have a seal along the bottom,any advice about the door not closing as tight or wind noise issues. My car is a Passat B8 2.0L SE Estate 2016.

Thank you.

jimgironde
02-07-2017, 07:43 AM
I have the B8 Estate MY17.

Exactly the same problem of excessive wind noise which feels like I need to close the window fully!

I did not notice it from new but after a few thousand miles I did. Have not checked any seals as noise seems to come from top of glass.

Sometimes it is more noticeable than others times.

skca54q
03-07-2017, 11:55 AM
My MY16 B8 GT Estate has a rubber strip along the inner bottom of the doors.

kraff
08-07-2017, 07:54 AM
My MY16 B8 GT Estate has a rubber strip along the inner bottom of the doors.

I noticed, that I have that rubber seal just at the one side.
http://web.zone.ee/kraff/IMG_20170708_095117.jpg
http://web.zone.ee/kraff/IMG_20170708_095128.jpg

So does anybody know part nr for that seal?

Got part numbers from the local rep 3G0 837 651 B (C)

tornado_17
12-07-2017, 01:45 PM
I have the B8 Estate MY17.

Exactly the same problem of excessive wind noise which feels like I need to close the window fully!

I did not notice it from new but after a few thousand miles I did. Have not checked any seals as noise seems to come from top of glass.

Sometimes it is more noticeable than others times.

Cheers, mine comes from the same place. If I push the door from the outside there is some give compared to the other doors so I may go to the garage and get it tightened slightl. See if that helps.

tornado_17
12-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Interesting that you guys have seals and and that kraff has one on just one side! Kraff, did you get the parts? What car spec do you have?

kraff
13-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Yes got the seal today. Haven`t fitted yet waiting for the weekend as the rear brake pads needs replacing too. Will do both.
Car itself is 2015 Comforline Variant but it has most of the highline equipment onboard.

So fitted the seal today and if you are not used to do such things, it`s easy to break some fittings. Also double sided strong tape (max 9mm wide) is needed. But if you are used with such things it`s not difficult:
1) remove cover for door (unscrew 2 screws) (inner part looks like this) https://elbrus-zapchasti.ru/sites/default/files/prod_img/molding_dveri_peredney_pravoy-volkswagen-passat-mw-001318391010052017-elbrus_0.jpg It`s attached with clips and with double sided tape. and there is a locking pin too. To remove cut through the tape and slide towards to the front of the car.
2) remove double sided tape from the part you just removed, clean and put new tape but leave outer side with protective cover. (do some overlapping)
3) clean door bottom part and put new seal to it`s place.
4) slide back the cover (make sure the screws are aligned with holes) pull the double sided tape cover you overlapped before.
5) put 2 screws back

Actualeyes
29-07-2017, 08:17 AM
My B8 (MY17) Estate with the panoramic sunroof doesn't have a noise per say, but I can hear the door moving excessively when turning or otherwise the vehicle is flexing. I have done 10000km and intend to get it looked at in the first service.

I would be interested to know if the others with the similar issue have panoramic sunroof (I guess without it the roof is more rigid) and if anyone has asked the dealers to address it with any success.

Thanks
Andrew.

BenR
02-08-2017, 04:02 PM
My test for a stiff car body is to push my fingers as far up as I can between the door frame and the door while driving. The current Passat B8 is the stiffest body I've ever driven, you can hardly feel any movement at all between door and aperture even on rough roads. I guess the roof does give extra rigidity.

Merkawa
30-12-2018, 03:32 PM
I noticed, that I have that rubber seal just at the one side.
Error 404: Not found (http://web.zone.ee/kraff/IMG_20170708_095117.jpg)
Error 404: Not found (http://web.zone.ee/kraff/IMG_20170708_095128.jpg)

So does anybody know part nr for that seal?

Got part numbers from the local rep 3G0 837 651 B (C)

Could you show the pictures again? I have problems with wind and road noise in my 2016 Passat B8.