Skuz
28-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Just noticed a whine that seem to be related to turbo but unsure,
its really annoying at low rpm sounds like a USA type police siren
is it a sign turbo is on its way out?
cars only done 42500 mls with full service history any help

Jon44w
13-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Sounds like the turbo or EGR valve but worth checking the exhaust for any leaks. What year is your car? Do you know the engine code? It can be found in your handbook or on a sticker in the boot near the spare wheel, usually something like BXE or BKD etc

Skuz
17-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Sounds like the turbo or EGR valve but worth checking the exhaust for any leaks. What year is your car? Do you know the engine code? It can be found in your handbook or on a sticker in the boot near the spare wheel, usually something like BXE or BKD etc
I am looking into a new EGR as its the cheaper option I have noticed that on idle it runs ok with no whine, then the whine comes in after a couple of minutes on idle if i blip the throttle it goes away. hopefully the change of EGR will sort it, will post back when i get it changed

Skuz
02-09-2018, 11:35 AM
FYI
Just an update cured the police car siren first i changed the EGR made no difference so I bit the bullet and bought a new turbo, result its all quiet again.
On inspection of old turbo slight amount of play on the bearings,geuss it would have run on for a few more mile before it let go

A55
02-09-2018, 12:55 PM
cars only done 42500 mls with full service history. Thats pretty poor milage from a turbo - do you just switch it strait off after driving it ?? instead of letting it idle for couple of mins so that turbo gets a chance too cool down With oil still lubing the bearings ???

Skuz
02-09-2018, 04:11 PM
cars only done 42500 mls with full service history. Thats pretty poor milage from a turbo - do you just switch it strait off after driving it ?? instead of letting it idle for couple of mins so that turbo gets a chance too cool down With oil still lubing the bearings ???
Yes I know its not good at all
I did buy the car with a bit of a whine that got worse
put it down to lack of use as the previous owner did less than 400 miles in the last 3 year of ownership
Yes always give it time to cool down etc

A55
02-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Just a thought --it may be worth replacing the turbo oil feed pipe-from fillter housing to turbo-- just incase it has suffered the dreaded baked oil in pipe, its not uncomon for that too happen-and it would explane the Very premature fail of turbo !!!

Skuz
03-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Yes both oil feed /outlet pipes were changed