PDA

View Full Version : Bose - poor performance

VDT
13-06-2017, 09:16 PM
After owning two C7 A6's I finally got an A7 with the Bose stereo. To say I'm underwhelmed would be an understatement. I am into home hifi in a pretty big way, so I've tricked with the settings but it doesn't really get any better to my ears anyway. Anyone else think the Bose is weak/poor reproduction on Radio and Media, wired and Bluetooth? It sounds a bit better on CD but nothing special, I thought it would be a big step up over the bog standard system.

I've set Bass and Treble, Balance and Fader all flat. It has Audiopilot 'On' (but thats just the equivalent of Gala?) and the Surround thing just adds a fake mess, might as well be sitting in a barrel 😂

What are the best settings, other than Off !

Corb2000
13-06-2017, 10:27 PM
The Bose in the A7 is very unimpressive - I've had Bose setups in previous A4s and A6s that sounded far better.

I find the A7 system lacks both sparkle and punch, I've not found a combination of settings that achieves what I want to hear and agree with you that CD is the only sound source that stands out as being slightly more detailed.

The predominant audio mod for the A7 is a replacement sub mounted in a new enclosure in the boot side recess. This deals with the weedy standard sub's performance.

There are a few brave souls who've replaced tweeters/door speakers & used a digital sound processor but this is far from straightforward.

I do resent spending more money trying to sort the audio on what was already a pricey car but am seriously considering upgrading the sub in a new enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil-A
14-06-2017, 10:30 PM
I have the standard system which I have to say was awful and better turned off! For me I have changed the front tweeters and door speakers which has made a massive difference and also increased the low end bass response just from the doors. Better tweeters fitted which are more balanced with the door speakers as there no separate control. I am currently running without the standard sub which was barely there anyway but the new fronts are making up for this in a good way.

Bass isn't a problem for me now as I have plenty from the Hertz front door speakers, these are brilliant! These combined with the sound deadening on both doors have worked wonders.

I am still experimenting with a plugin AMP DSP module.

So far I'm happier but it's almost there. Various sources are a pain though as there's no way of saving your sound settings for say FM and then for dab, MP3 or CD. This is the biggest pain for me and once sounding nice on one side it needs changing for another. It's better now but still it could be better.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Neil-A
14-06-2017, 11:35 PM
I don't think you'll find one setting that suits all sources or any setting that will really improve this. Well it never did on mine until I upgraded the front speakers. I haven't heard the A7 Bose system but seems it's lacking like the standard system. It definitely seems the biggest improvement on the Bose is to sorting the subwoofer out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk