PDA

View Full Version : Flashing oil light and rev counter not working

95GOLF
26-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi folks has anyone come across this problem. The oil light is flashing on and off, the engine has plenty of oil. I was advised to replace the oil switch. When I drove back to my garage to fit it the rev counter has now stopped working! I changed the switch, no difference! Oil light still flashing! Rev counter not working also. Are the 2 problems related or separate? Can anyone help me?

95GOLF
29-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi Folks! Just to let you know an auto electrician traced the problem to 2 broken wires going into the alternator.

jjav
06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
thanks for that, i'v been having the same problem month or so. I had no joy on internet and was given numerous posibilities by mechanics etc. just thought id give it another shot on the net and you came up with the exact problem. whent out to my car and hey presto, problem gone. thanks again for coming back and putting info on forum.

Alun
08-11-2007, 12:39 AM
I just wanted to say, thankyou! This problem started on my car today ('94 Golf TD). I thought I'd post it up on here to see if anyone knew anything and hey presto! You've solved my woes! Thankyou very much! I'll be checking the connections on the alternator tomorrow. :beerchug:

Del
12-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I started having the same problem few days ago and I wiggled with the wires but no luck and it won't charge start now (flat battery I think). Can anyone narrow it down for me as to which two wires and which end ?

Alun
12-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I cant be quite sure. When mine buggered up the wires for the alternator were concealed so I couldn't get to them. I ended up getting an auto electrician to have a look and he reconditioned the aternator which put an end to my sorrows.

A word of warning though, be sure to disconect the battery when messing with wires to the alternator as they are more or less a direct feed to the live terminal on the battery! Could be a shocking experience.