PDA

View Full Version : Question Are maps from other cars locked to specific car?

Akash
09-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Hi all

I think this is probably a very quick thread question/answer as the answer will probably be yes ...
I was wondering if map updates from other cars are locked to that specific car/pin

Scenario: The A6 has access to 2017/2018 map updates but the A7 has only got 2017 updates with 2017/2018 being available if I purchase them. Issue is even if I wanted to, apparently I have to wait until the licence has expired and that is later in in the year.
From what I can gather, I've hit the 5 update limit rather than the 3 year free update limit which is what annoys me

So I've got the A6 which can have the updates but rarely is used in terms of live navigation and I've got the A7 which is used a lot including live traffic/google maps via sim etc.

If not, I might have to look at potentially swapping the nav units around (I'm sure component protection is involved here)

Just annoying as the over the air updates do not tell you there is a 5 update limit - only if you download them from My Audi does it tell you...if you go into the information area

Guest 2
09-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Yes everything is linked and locked to the VIN.