PDA

View Full Version : Solved Windscreen Chip

DEF33
04-06-2017, 06:41 PM
A satisfying afternoon. Car cleaned and looking ready for another week on the road, and have just done a windscreen chip with a £3.50 kit from eBay.

I could not bear the hassle of a new screen as last time the fitter ruined both "A" pillar trims. So thought i would give it a go.
90mins and a bit of rain dodging, but all done.

Results are as good as the clip here if anyone else has any annoying chip that doesn't really warrant a new screen.

How to Repair a Windshield Chip or Crack - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjuWqBzO7qY)

Link to kit if you want the same one i had.

Car Crack Premium Windscreen Repair Kit & DIY Chip Windshield Glass Wind Screen | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142372197499?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

Corb2000
04-06-2017, 06:49 PM
The chip in my screen was tiny and barely noticeable but it turned into a 250mm crack within a week of me noticing it so I'll be organising a new screen this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEF33
04-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Apparently the resin repairs are stronger than the original glass. Hopefully the repairs saves the need for a new screen.
Maybe check or photograph your A pillar trims before the screen is done. The wire used to remove the old screen cut the fabric and left it all frayed plus lots of grubby finger marks. Ended up with new trims being fitted as i complained.

Corb2000
04-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Good idea, will do

The Glassman
27-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Apparently the resin repairs are stronger than the original glass. Hopefully the repairs saves the need for a new screen.
Maybe check or photograph your A pillar trims before the screen is done. The wire used to remove the old screen cut the fabric and left it all frayed plus lots of grubby finger marks. Ended up with new trims being fitted as i complained.

Erm... take them off? That would be the best solution.

Moogie
28-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Erm... take them off? That would be the best solution.

^^^^ totally agree. I'm on my 3rd windscreen, and both times the Autoglass technician carefully removed the trim before replacing the windscreen. Clips back on afterward. No damage to them.

Pilchardpeach
03-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Hi, do Autoglass fit their own version of the "acoustic glass" screen or do they use original OEM screen from Audi?

I had a screen replaced on a Toyota RAV4 last year and the new one was noisy with lots of wind buffeting from the centre of the screen at 70mph. I was convinced the new screen was "thinner" and cheaper quality than OEM.

Audi say that if there are any cameras looking through the screen (LED headlights use one at top of screen) then only and OEM will work properly and the camera will need to be calibrated.

I have this single camera on my A7 (2016 272 quattro) . It seems a shame to compromise and potentially lose the zero wind-noise experience of the A7.

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Corb2000
03-08-2017, 11:06 PM
I'm insured with Admiral and they referred me to Autoglass for a recent windscreen replacement on my 2016 A7 BE, which has the central safety camera behind the mirror. Autoglass required the work to be done at one of their depots and it took nearly 3 hours, including recalibrating the camera. The new screen is Pilkington and has no Audi markings, but I've not noticed any increased wind noise.
I did notice that the distance alert wasn't flashing up on the HUD & instruments afterwards (I tend to drive too close to other cars so see it most days), so made a return visit to Autoglass and they redid the calibration - having checked it seemed the first attempt had used A6 settings and that was enough to affect the sensor in the camera reading distances - it's fine now with the correct A7 settings.
Overall I'm happy with Autoglass, they did a very neat job, didn't cause any damage and sorted the calibration when I queried it - plus the £75 I paid to Admiral was a better deal than the £1200+ price that the Audi dealer quoted me...

Pilchardpeach
04-08-2017, 07:43 AM
Thanks for that reassurance.

The OEM Audi screen on my A7 is labelled Audi and also Pilkington, so it look as if this is the same part without the Audi badge premium.

I have a HUD also but none of the distance alert goodies unfortunately.

many thanks.

Pilchardpeach
04-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Thanks for that reassurance.

The OEM Audi screen on my A7 is labelled Audi and also Pilkington, so it look as if this is the same part without the Audi badge premium.

I have a HUD also but none of the distance alert goodies unfortunately.

many thanks.

FYI Just an addendum to the above : I was WRONG, My screen doesnt have Audi on it, just Pilkington. (As I purchased it used/approved, it could of course already have had a screen replacement).

morski
25-08-2017, 07:09 PM
I'm insured with Admiral and they referred me to Autoglass for a recent windscreen replacement on my 2016 A7 BE, which has the central safety camera behind the mirror. Autoglass required the work to be done at one of their depots and it took nearly 3 hours, including recalibrating the camera. The new screen is Pilkington and has no Audi markings, but I've not noticed any increased wind noise.
I did notice that the distance alert wasn't flashing up on the HUD & instruments afterwards (I tend to drive too close to other cars so see it most days), so made a return visit to Autoglass and they redid the calibration - having checked it seemed the first attempt had used A6 settings and that was enough to affect the sensor in the camera reading distances - it's fine now with the correct A7 settings.
Overall I'm happy with Autoglass, they did a very neat job, didn't cause any damage and sorted the calibration when I queried it - plus the £75 I paid to Admiral was a better deal than the £1200+ price that the Audi dealer quoted me...

Did they cover the calibration as per your ins policy? As some policies do not cover safety camera recalibrations. I Asked autoglass and they wanted nearly £300 to calibration whereas audi quoted £250. Camera above mirror and HUD

Corb2000
25-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Did they cover the calibration as per your ins policy? As some policies do not cover safety camera recalibrations. I Asked autoglass and they wanted nearly £300 to calibration whereas audi quoted £250. Camera above mirror and HUD

I didn't involve Admiral in the process at all, I just rang Autoglass, gave them my policy details, paid the excess and booked it into their nearest depot. They didn't ask for more money when I asked for the calibration to be done again.

Neil-A
29-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Hi,

Looks a great kit and just watched the video. Did yours come out well and did they almost disappear like in the video? I have 3 chips on the passenger side which I would rather do myself instead of having the whole screen replaced. No harm in trying this first I suppose.

A satisfying afternoon. Car cleaned and looking ready for another week on the road, and have just done a windscreen chip with a £3.50 kit from eBay.

I could not bear the hassle of a new screen as last time the fitter ruined both "A" pillar trims. So thought i would give it a go.
90mins and a bit of rain dodging, but all done.

Results are as good as the clip here if anyone else has any annoying chip that doesn't really warrant a new screen.

How to Repair a Windshield Chip or Crack - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjuWqBzO7qY)

Link to kit if you want the same one i had.

Car Crack Premium Windscreen Repair Kit & DIY Chip Windshield Glass Wind Screen | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142372197499?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

DEF33
30-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Thats what i thought. Give it a try nothing to lose. I have to say mine was almost invisible when i had completed the job. Started raining when i was doing it, so had to cover it over, but don't think it affected anything. Gave the screen a good clean, used the kit as instructions, (didn't see the bubbles, but guess my chip not as bad as the video) left it for the right amount of time and then trimmed the repair. Honestly say that i don't even notice the original chip now and it was right in my eye line. Worth shot for a few £, rather than a replace. Policy XS would be £50, so worth a £3 gamble.

M1tchy
30-08-2017, 11:44 AM
I bought a similar kit from Halfords. Used it a few months back and no issues since. I did have to do it twice as I didn’t put enough resin in to fill the chip but I don’t even know where it was now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neil-A
01-09-2017, 07:34 AM
That's brilliant thanks for this and look forward to seeing how this comes out :) I have 3 chips which I try to pretend are not there but are getting on my nerves now.

Will update on my results too.

Cheers
Neil

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk