PDA

View Full Version : Question What tyre?

Akash
01-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Hi all,
So the 3mm marker is soon approaching and I'm looking at potentially changing tyres - Currently I have a set of Continentals but where usually I change like for like, my contact at Audi suggested I go for Dunlops

Any suggestions/advice?
Dunlops seem to be cheaper so that's good - better? who knows. I've usually always had Conti so it is a new world now for me especially on the 21" wheels. 275/30/21

Also Dunlops have an RT and a GT version

I'll probably do some reading tonight but for now, I thought I would check on what the general consensus is on here

Cheers :)

Corb2000
01-06-2017, 03:44 PM
I've got Pirelli zeros and they've been fine except for a tendency to aquaplane in standing water on the outer lane of motorways/dual carriageways - which can be unnerving.
I'll look at alternatives when these reach their markers, as I'd like to reduce the noise levels if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex c
01-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Standing water with the Pirellis - love it! (not really, its not fun in the outside lane when that happens!)

When you do decide, I found Camskill a good place to find cheap tyres, although theres delivery in that too. I also found a German company that equalled Camskill on price, but with Free delivery (but with a week to deliver or so).

However, call your local tyre places - as mine matched the German price, and managed to get a next day delivery!! I think I paid about 760 for 4x 265/35/20's (PZeros) - Fitted.

(Happy to share the details if you want - North London based)

:)

DEF33
01-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Just put a pair of Pirelli P Zero on mine. Matched the rears anyway, so made sense, and looking about they were only a couple of db noisier than others. Stuck with the standard spec and they seem fine. Paid 172 a corner.

AT.
01-06-2017, 05:25 PM
As I prefer the silence, and the quality in the same time, so in this year I chosed the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 FP SCT for my car.

As it's only a short term period, I haven't got too much experiences until now, but what I can tell is, that I feel far more comfortable and safer compared to my former Continental and Pirelly tyres.

M1tchy
01-06-2017, 05:28 PM
P Zeros for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alex c
02-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Just put a pair of Pirelli P Zero on mine. Matched the rears anyway, so made sense, and looking about they were only a couple of db noisier than others. Stuck with the standard spec and they seem fine. Paid 172 a corner.

That's a really good price! Camskill are still doing them for 197!
I'm coming to your supplier next time! lol

Akash
02-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Thanks all - Seems like Pirelli seems to be the winner here. I had F1's on my very first A6 and did not mind them but it seems anywhere I look, Conti, Pirelli or Dunlops are the only ones who seem to do tyres for 275/30/21 so I'll have to stick to that.

Camskill is coming out a little more than the others but one thing I did like is the comparison tool on Camskill. What is interesting is Pirelli over Conti has more tread it seems - acccording to CS, Pirelli come with 8.5mm whereas the Conti is 7.5. Dunlops does not seem to have a value which is annoying.

Now it goes to money - cheapest I have found is:
Camskill:
P: 250
C: 256
D: 216

Black Circles: (Fitted)
P: 301
C: 263
D: 244

Oponeo:
P: 256
C: 248
D: 207

Tyre Leader:
P: 243
C: 244
D: 201

Kwik Fit: (Fitted)
C: 260

Alex c
02-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Thanks all - Seems like Pirelli seems to be the winner here. I had F1's on my very first A6 and did not mind them but it seems anywhere I look, Conti, Pirelli or Dunlops are the only ones who seem to do tyres for 275/30/21 so I'll have to stick to that.

Camskill is coming out a little more than the others but one thing I did like is the comparison tool on Camskill. What is interesting is Pirelli over Conti has more tread it seems - acccording to CS, Pirelli come with 8.5mm whereas the Conti is 7.5. Dunlops does not seem to have a value which is annoying.

Now it goes to money - cheapest I have found is:
Camskill:
P: 250
C: 256
D: 216

Black Circles: (Fitted)
P: 301
C: 263
D: 244

Oponeo:
P: 256
C: 248
D: 207

Tyre Leader:
P: 243
C: 244
D: 201

Kwik Fit: (Fitted)
C: 260

I think you should give DEF33's supplier a quick call?
Depending on location etc

Akash
02-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Very true!
DEF33 tell us more!

M1tchy
03-06-2017, 10:16 AM
I use lovetyres.com and the pirellis are on for 188 today. Price changes regularly but I tend to pay around that for mine. There are lots of variants but these are the AO fitment too.

We use Dunlop winter sport 3D in the winter months which are amazing and well worth the cash if you encounter snow/ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEF33
03-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Sheltune based in Northampton. He was neighbour of mine and he has always looked after my cars, so i usually get a good deal. This time there were a couple of local supplier a few cheaper but i went to him anyway, as i get a good cup of tea. Just noticed you are quoting on 21" wheels, Mine are unfortunately only 19" which i guess makes a huge difference. Happy to swap my 19" wheels for your 21" if it helps. :-)