PDA

View Full Version : suspension top arms

Andy N.I
26-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi,

I have a slight knocking coming from the front right hand side of the car and upon inspection of the suspension noticed to have a few things wrong, changed a drop link didnt cure the problem noticed one of the top arm bushes badly perished. Is it safer changing both top arms on both sides or just change the one thats gone and the same one on the passenger side. Where is the cheapest place to get these. Also the rear shock protectors on the car are worn is this an mot failure as the same with cv boots that are not perished yet just worn.

Andy

Crasher
26-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Knocking is usually the lower forward arm with the damper attached to it. Rear damper dust shield separation is not an MOT failure but it does mean your bump stops have failed. There are lots of sources for these arms but quality varies.

Andy N.I
26-10-2007, 04:30 PM
the rear shock dust protectors have only gone like this as the foam has deteriated ( excuse the spelling ), had the bump stops checked all is fine shocks are fine also. Probably caused by to much power hosing of the arches. will change them anyway as they are expensive as to the front really need to get it up on the ramp and have a look. Is this knocking a common problem with the Passats.

Andy

Crasher
26-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Obviously the person who checked it is not experienced in these cars; the foam is the bump stop!

Andy N.I
26-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Ahh got you now he didnt know that, it was actually a guy from work who looked at it. taking it to my usual mechanic near where i live luckily enough he is a good friend of mine who has sorted me out before with other cars and would look at the likes of audi's,vw's and the likes for the local taxi drivers around his workshop. I know not to take it to the guy in work again, thanks again

Andy

Cheers Crasher for the support