PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Loss of power and misfire

Woodyuk1983
27-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Hi

So i brought my 2006 Touareg 2.5 2 weeks ago, one previous owner 140k and full vw service history last service 1000 mile before, test drove it and was fine drove local roads and motorway and all was great,

My wife was driving it last week and phoned me to say it had a loss of power and a vibration feeling,
Got the car home he led the oil , all fine started the car no issue took for a drive no misfire or loss of power, all was well,
Today while driving on the motorway, got the loss of power and misfire from the engine, no warning lights on the dash or anything,

Just taken to a garage who plugged into the computer and he said it has an internal fault and that it will need a new engine?

The car still starts and drives but sounds like it's only firing on 4/5 cylinders

I'm going to get the car recovered home after the weekend but just wondering if anyone has experienced this,
Also do you think vw would be any help knowing it's full vw service history and only 800 miles since last service?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niall campbell
27-05-2017, 09:18 PM
your doing the right thing and bringing it home

you can either take it to a garage you trust and get them to plug it into a computer to get the Fault Code and what it relates to.

then you can decide if indeed it is an internal fault and needs a new engine ..................................... that would mean further investigation like a Compression Test , changing head gasket etc

But at this point its Plug It In .............................. that's your cheapest option

Crasher
28-05-2017, 12:18 AM
If it needs a new engine that is the engine for the car.... You can't even get the head off of one of those without dropping the engine, daft design.

c4a5er
29-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Private sale or garage? If you bought it from a garage take it back under Consumer Rights.

Woodyuk1983
29-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Private sale or garage? If you bought it from a garage take it back under Consumer Rights.

Private sale unfortunately

c4a5er
29-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Oh right. What do you propose to do...is your garage going to investigate further?

These engines can suffer from the plasma coating coming off the cylinder wall so it would make sense to start with a compression test.

Woodyuk1983
29-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Oh right. What do you propose to do...is your garage going to investigate further?

These engines can suffer from the plasma coating coming off the cylinder wall so it would make sense to start with a compression test.

Not sure yet we're halfway home on the recovery truck, can get a refurbished engine for £1500 with a years warrantee so not sure weather to strip the engine and try to fix or exchange it for a new one!

Crasher
29-05-2017, 11:19 PM
can get a refurbished engine for £1500 with a years warrantee

That is a con, you can't even do the labour for that amount, changing those engines is a HUGE task, even the water pump can turn into a complete nightmare. I will try and quantify this, an exchange engine from VW WITHOUT ANY ancillaries apart from said very integral water pump is £7K plus VAT delivered in a box. The VW labour time for changing the engine using the proper engine carrier system is about a week.

Woodyuk1983
30-05-2017, 07:03 AM
That is a con, you can't even do the labour for that amount, changing those engines is a HUGE task, even the water pump can turn into a complete nightmare. I will try and quantify this, an exchange engine from VW WITHOUT ANY ancillaries apart from said very integral water pump is £7K plus VAT delivered in a box. The VW labour time for changing the engine using the proper engine carrier system is about a week.

I looked online and came across Porsche engine builders who do it on an exchange basis they will either collect the car and then fit the new engine for £2,500 plus vat which comes with a 2 year warrantee or they will supply the engine and I do it myself for £1500 and then give them my old unit when complete and that's With a one year warrantee

Woodyuk1983
30-05-2017, 07:06 AM
VW TOUAREG 2.5 TDI BAC BLK BPD BPE FULL ENGINE REBUILD & FITTED 2 YEARS WARRANTY | eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281302608490)

c4a5er
01-06-2017, 11:34 AM
VW TOUAREG 2.5 TDI BAC BLK BPD BPE FULL ENGINE REBUILD & FITTED 2 YEARS WARRANTY | eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281302608490)

if you decide to go this route I think it makes sense to take the option that provides the 2yr warranty.

before anything though you should discuss the extra charges if your old block is scrap.

Woodyuk1983
01-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Just an update I had this fixed at a garage, it was the cam shaft, had it all replaced and car is back and driving lovely again