PDA

View Full Version : Air con. Literally !

Mike Willis
27-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Hi all. I have a 2007 2.0tdi and had to take the car in for a front left door lock. Picked car up after being fixed but the Econ light was stuck on. Checked with mechanic whether they could have popped a fuse and he said to leave it and they would have look. Later in day the car is ready and working after replacing the pressure switch and a regas. I was told that the switch had blown out and obviously lost all the gas. I was given the old switch which has several threads on it so seems strange that it can "blow" out. Surely with that kind of failure there would have been a large cloud of some sort. Anyone had this happen or could a door lock replacement **** up lead to air con problems ?
Thanks in advance

Crasher
28-05-2017, 12:22 AM
The switch on these is a well known failure and the gases leak out of the centre, the local TPS keeps several in stock and the design has been changed around five times.

Mike Willis
28-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Thanks for that it would explain a lot. What I never mentioned was that I looked under bonnet, front driver side, and saw a connector hanging. Assumed this may be for another model but in hindsight if the switch has let go could it be enough to blow the connecter off ?

Crasher
28-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Yes the part that leaks is the connector point and the gas leaks up the side of the pins inside the plug which is water tight with seals.