PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 Tfsi and manual gearbox

Bloater
15-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Having handed my A6 back, and the wife driving an A3 cabriolet, we are looking at replacing the A3 with an A4 to get slightly more room.

My A6 was a 2.0 diesel, and the wife's A3 is a 1.4 petrol, the higher powered one.

we have only ever had manual gearboxes, the wife's never driven an auto, although I have, hate them.

it appears the the only option with the 2.0 TFsi engine is either stronic or Quattro stronic. Is this really the case? I can't believe that an auto box is the only option.

i know form past experience that auto boxes are nowhere near as efficient as manual, no cars I have driven, from Audi, BMW, Mercedes and many others, driving an auto results in appalling economy. I live in Milton Keynes, so lots of roundabouts, lots of braking, accelerating etc.

We don't really do enough miles for a diesel any longer, so slightly confused with it all.

anyone got any better info?

mikeyltang
15-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Having handed my A6 back, and the wife driving an A3 cabriolet, we are looking at replacing the A3 with an A4 to get slightly more room.

My A6 was a 2.0 diesel, and the wife's A3 is a 1.4 petrol, the higher powered one.

we have only ever had manual gearboxes, the wife's never driven an auto, although I have, hate them.

it appears the the only option with the 2.0 TFsi engine is either stronic or Quattro stronic. Is this really the case? I can't believe that an auto box is the only option.

i know form past experience that auto boxes are nowhere near as efficient as manual, no cars I have driven, from Audi, BMW, Mercedes and many others, driving an auto results in appalling economy. I live in Milton Keynes, so lots of roundabouts, lots of braking, accelerating etc.

We don't really do enough miles for a diesel any longer, so slightly confused with it all.

anyone got any better info?

I have a 3.0 S-line tdi Quattro stronic and it does 33 city, 42 combined and 48-50 highway. Not bad in my books for a 3.0 auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Nick
18-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Your statement that the modern auto boxes are inefficient is, in my opinion, totally wrong. I average nearly 50 mpg from my A4 2.0 TDi bought in September 16. The car is driven hard and the auto box is a delight and of course can be used in a manual mode. Try one.

Bloater
18-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Thanks, like you say, I'll have to try one. Last time I tried, dealer couldn't get a 2.0TFSi for love nor money, so I gave up. Maybe they'll give me one for a weekend try out.

i currently drive a Toyota auto when on site abroad, and economy is below 20mpg. At 15p a litre though in Saudi, it's not the end of the world. My brother has had a succession of VW and Skoda cars, his other half works at head office, so he gets a new one every 6 months, and the DSG box that seems to be fitted isn't great for economy, unless you drive like Miss Daisy.

The wife is also concerned with an auto, having never driven one. I prefer a manual, but understand the auto is just point and press, easy.

Still want petrol though, 7 to 8000 miles a year doesn't justify diesel, and I fully expect tax on diesel to massively increase over the coming years. Interesting that the petrol stronic is claimed to achieve 55mpg, don't believe it, but would welcome feedback from anyone with the 2.0 petrol engine.

Ta

srbsq7
20-05-2017, 11:24 AM
There's also a lot of new tech in the Audi's depending on how many options you want to go for. Auto in combination with ACC and predictive efficiency assist not only helps with the fuel efficiency but just makes driving very relaxing (not to mention less likely to get caught out by speed cameras!).

jds68
22-05-2017, 07:42 PM
The modern S tronic gearbox is actually a double dry plate clutch system where the next gear is pre-selected in readiness for a quick change. It's not like the older style fluid clutch which can sap power and therefore lower economy. The economy you can get with the S tronic is pretty much the same as you would get with a manual, possibly better I would say from my experience. Although I also have the diesel (190 PS) model I'm currently averaging about 55mpg long term with mostly longer distance journeys. The best bit is using occasional manual overrides like for overtaking, as you can drop to the gear you want, overtake or whatever, then let it go back to auto mode. I don't really use kickdown as I don't want to wait for the box to work out what's happening when I already know what I want it to do.

This is the first auto I have had and I have to say I am very much converted. Not saying I would never go back to a manual as I do like them too.

neil s
23-05-2017, 05:12 PM
I had a test drive in a new A4 2.0 Tfsi quattro for a few hours today. After about 60 miles on the motorway (with the cruise control set to 75mph) the car returned an indicated 41mpg. I was quite happy with that. After more general town and A road driving that had dropped to about 38mpg but I still thought that was a decent return. A later short trip around town stated 35mpg. Coming from a diesel I wasn't sure what to expect, and for quite a powerful petrol engine I thought the consumption was pretty good. I'd assume the lower powered FWD version would improve on these figures.

Last time I tried, dealer couldn't get a 2.0TFSi for love nor money, so I gave up

I was actually after a test in an A4 Avant, but according to the dealer salesman they were very unlikely to get one as a petrol demonstrator (nearly always diesel), so the saloon was the next best thing. Even then, the car I tested was a new arrival and I had to wait a week or so whilst they prepared and registered it.

Hope that helps.

Neil.