PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...(not actually Q7 but Q5 related)

Nemo78
12-05-2017, 11:10 AM
So my trusted friends I need some friendly advice...

My other sis is looking at getting the new Q5, having seen it, driven it etc all is good.

2 questions:

1) This hoo haa in the world right now about Diesel engines and Diesel engine tax and being banned from clear zones...should she avoid the 2.0tdi engine? Was a very nice drive and a tried and tested Audi engine.
Petrol costs about £900 more.

Aside are Diesel engines on the way out / bottom about to fall out of the market for them? Or really will the latest EU6 engines be ok for a good 10 yrs or so still?

2) The new Q5 is built in this new swanky factory in Mexico and not Germany anymore...this worries me a little as you know the problems I've had with the Q7 and others have had. Unlucky or do the non German factories really not build well? I think Mexico only opened in Sept last year and not sure if the cars are actually being QCd there or in Germany as a few people from Reading Q5 forums seems to have delays in cars getting stuck in German QC - additional step potentially as factory new or major issues and cars getting 'fixed' in Germany?

Deal on the table will be a good deal on par with brokers so no issue there...

But you know there's a niggle in my head...

Thoughts, advice all welcome [emoji1360]

satyp
12-05-2017, 11:34 AM
So my trusted friends I need some friendly advice...

My other sis is looking at getting the new Q5, having seen it, driven it etc all is good.

2 questions:

1) This hoo haa in the world right now about Diesel engines and Diesel engine tax and being banned from clear zones...should she avoid the 2.0tdi engine? Was a very nice drive and a tried and tested Audi engine.
Petrol costs about £900 more.

Aside are Diesel engines on the way out / bottom about to fall out of the market for them? Or really will the latest EU6 engines be ok for a good 10 yrs or so still?

2) The new Q5 is built in this new swanky factory in Mexico and not Germany anymore...this worries me a little as you know the problems I've had with the Q7 and others have had. Unlucky or do the non German factories really not build well? I think Mexico only opened in Sept last year and not sure if the cars are actually being QCd there or in Germany as a few people from Reading Q5 forums seems to have delays in cars getting stuck in German QC - additional step potentially as factory new or major issues and cars getting 'fixed' in Germany?

Deal on the table will be a good deal on par with brokers so no issue there...

But you know there's a niggle in my head...

Thoughts, advice all welcome [emoji1360]
No issues with deal as the ball is def in consumer court for due the new "half baked" tax measures, as you said [emoji2]

Just my take

Not sure on the general diesel market mega trends but I know manufacturers have invested in the E6 compliance so can't see a steep decline for a while somehow..

I think cars made here also potentially would still suffer the same issues QC or otherwise as it's the raw elements and fabrication is where the costs savings would be applied. Work ethic Mexico vs Europe would be different however being Audi managed factories can't see any shortcuts in initial QC at least, obviously it could cost a lot more to ship back to Mexico​ as opposed to Europe.

Probably doesn't help .. in any case I think if your sis has no issues with the taxing side, happy with car and offer on the table I'd personally go for it (like they say One Life et all [emoji6] ) as the rest all pot luck I guess..

All the best whatever is decided though...

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

EssexGonzo
12-05-2017, 12:00 PM
On the diesel vs Petrol saga......

The actual issue won't affect Euro 6 diesels as much as older ones but because the mainstream press is whipping everyone up into a frenzy, I reckon the perceived issues will dent residual values.

I reckon diesel is still the best option for this sort of car but.....

If I were buying now with my own actual cash, I'd be getting a petrol model.

If I were leasing and buying on PCP or lease, and would be seeing the whole contract through, I'd get a diesel as someone else is taking the residual value risk. And maybe in 3 years time there will be better hybrid options around or we will have come to our senses!

satyp
12-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Government(s) does not and will not push hybrid initiative further as they do for their fossil fulled counterparts.. all though we seeing more clean energy projects on other fronts..

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Whippy53
12-05-2017, 12:16 PM
The wife's got a jetta (yes, I know, but she loves the things) made in Mexico. No problems at all with it since new.

ctuffley
12-05-2017, 01:18 PM
I got the petrol TFSI new Q5. Some on this forum have suggested build quality is questionable but mine doesn't have any problem and I have super sensitive eyes and ears to that sort thing.

I believe QC is in Mexico and Germany

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nemo78
12-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Guys thanks all for the responses so far much appreciated...

srbsq7
13-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Hey Nemo, also you would hope many issues in the current MLB platform would also be ironed out, now it's been around for a couple of years across a number of models.