PDA

View Full Version : Question How sensitive is the tyre monitoring system?

Akash
11-05-2017, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

As above, how sensitive is the TPMS on your A7's?
Both previous A6's did not go off once... aside from a confirmed blow-out.

The A7 seems to be a lot more iffy about it.
First day I got the car ... actually during the test drive, the left passenger alerted us. They had a look and nothing was wrong so reset the tpms / accepted new values.
2-3 weeks later, right passenger...had a visual look, no issues so I reset it thinking if it appears again, it's a slow puncture.
This morning, front passenger. Again visual look suggests no issues, I've reset it again and will monitor but I suspect there probably won't be any issues.

I don't think it's temp related as its all been fairly low speed/low distance driving. Air levels seem fine with Audi only checking it yesterday

Do yours go off? Any issues?

JayNana
11-05-2017, 10:26 AM
I think different cars have different systems (RS has sensors in each tyre valve). Mine works based on wheel speed, it's super sensitive... although it has its cons, such as - it can't display tyre pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corb2000
Hi all,

As above, how sensitive is the TPMS on your A7's?
Both previous A6's did not go off once... aside from a confirmed blow-out.

The A7 seems to be a lot more iffy about it.
First day I got the car ... actually during the test drive, the left passenger alerted us. They had a look and nothing was wrong so reset the tpms / accepted new values.
2-3 weeks later, right passenger...had a visual look, no issues so I reset it thinking if it appears again, it's a slow puncture.
This morning, front passenger. Again visual look suggests no issues, I've reset it again and will monitor but I suspect there probably won't be any issues.

I don't think it's temp related as its all been fairly low speed/low distance driving. Air levels seem fine with Audi only checking it yesterday

Do yours go off? Any issues?

Mine has only gone off twice in 14 months / 17k, both times the pressures had dropped enough to justify the alert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddyboy
Mine went off once when there was more than 5 psi difference. I much prefer the older type system where each wheel had its own sensor and you could check the psi of each wheel from the MMI. At least my A7 doesn't have that setting for the TPMS

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A7Andy
11-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Mine's never gone off in the 9 months I've had it.

Danny-boy
11-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Mine has gone off numerous times.

Mostly due to under inflation but once when the pressures were fine.

Crasher
11-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Yes it depends on whether it is direct or indirect, sensor or wheel speed monitored by the ABS pump.

Akash
19-05-2017, 10:11 AM
They don't make it easy do they! Any easy way of telling whats what?
What it does have from looking at it is standard plastic valve caps

PS: Thanks for all your replies. I've been on/off here this week so did not get a chance to reply.
Since storing the tyre pressures for a third time at the point of posting this, nothing has popped up tyre related (just the dreaded adblu again) so maybe it's not a slow puncture afterall but will monitor.