PDA

View Full Version : What's the best fuel

Tm64
09-05-2017, 11:45 PM
Hi I've had my 2016 A4 2 litre tfsi sport for a month now and I have always used BP ultimate do you guys think I'd see any performance improvements by switching fuel to say shell V power ?
thanks in advance

Gazwould
09-05-2017, 11:47 PM
What's the higher octane ?

rowdy-999
10-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Hi I've had my 2016 A4 2 litre tfsi sport for a month now and I have always used BP ultimate do you guys think I'd see any performance improvements by switching fuel to say shell V power ?
thanks in advance

Peoples personal experiences, pub talk etc are hardly scientific. Try different fuels out, and see for yourself.
Personally speaking I believe a higher octane fuel will only be beneficial under very hard driving or track use.
Welcome to the forum.

Tm64
10-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Thanks

Gazwould
10-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Can't see why it wouldn't help mpg as the combustion is better timed .

zollaf
10-05-2017, 06:12 PM
the higher the octane the harder it is to ignite the fuel. the harder it ignites, the less you get pre ignition (the fuel igniting before the plug ignites it, also called dieselling, detonation or pinking) therefore the more the timing can be advanced. a modern engine will advance as far as it can and sensors register the knock from detonation. the more its advanced, the faster you can go or the more economical you can be. so yeah, get the v power or use tesco momentum. they are both 99 ron (research octane number). some other so called high performance fuels are 97, and normal unleaded it 95. in the old days it was a start rating, 2 star, 4 star and 5 star, in the days when they added lead to keep valves happy. my old s4 would only run properly on 99, as do most fast engines. at most racetracks you can get 101 ron race fuel..