PDA

View Full Version : '00 Golf 1.8T Engine in a B5

amin ahmadi
25-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi,

I have a question about engine transplant.
I have a timing belt victim 2000 Passat 1.8T, and access to an engine from a 2000 GTI Golf. North American cars which I am not sure if that makes a difference.

I am wondering if I could drop the golf engine in the Passat. I Realise there is a layout difference. one logitudinal one transverse but are the block different?

i also know that even if it works I need to use the passat oil pan and turbo but what about the rest ?

I just founf out that the engine in the Passat is ATW

Thanks for shedding some light.

scotty33
25-10-2007, 09:25 PM
I can't answer your question exactly. But I have fitted a longitudinal Audi 2.0 16v engine (6A) into a B3 passat 16v (9A). The heads were the same, the blocks were nearly identical, the longitudinal Audi engine used a bracket/brace to connect to the lower part of the gearbox bellhousing. The transverse engine does not use this, so the block has less 'meat' around the gearbox end of the sump, there are no mounting points for this bracket and not enough metal there to drill your own.
Another difference is the spigot bearing in the back end of the crankshaft. The transverse engine does not use one, but it appeared that the crank had been bored ready to accept the bearing.
The sumps were different shapes, I chose to swap them over, the oil pick up pipes were also different so I swapped these too.
I had to use all of the transverse type manifolds and brackets, eg engine mountings alternator hanger, power steering pump hanger etc.

I don't know if the same differences exist between the 1.8t engines, but I guess most of them will?

amin ahmadi
25-10-2007, 11:19 PM
I was looking for a direct drop in with maybe a swap of accessories but it seems like they are not the engine really!!!

thanks for the input.

scotty33
26-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Ah, sorry if the news was bad, did not mean to put you off, just point out the issues. To be honest, if you are up to changing the engine, you can do the swapovers, it just takes some time. The only potential issue that you won't be able to solve, is the bellhousing bracket. I have heard of longitudinal mount cars being fitted with transverse type engines, I have not heard of any issues with doing this?
I did forget to mention that the flywheel/clutch was also different...