PDA

View Full Version : TDI 130 Tappety sound

Michelin
25-10-2007, 07:12 PM
My 2001 TDI 130 sounds a bit tappety is this ok or does it need seeing to incase something gets damaged,my local garage have told me not to worry that lots of them sound a bit tappety.The car is going superb no probs at all just wondering what people on this forum think

chrisvrscrx
25-10-2007, 09:42 PM
This may sound daft but have you checked the oil level?? This would cause a 'tappety' sound because the oil cannot get to the top of the engine. Worth a mention!

sherlockuk
26-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Mine is also quite tappety.. Well sounds like it ticks, sort of a metal on metal sound say once on every revolution.. Doesn't seem to be any worse for it, but then I don't think it sounds great.. If anyone has an explanation, or remedy i would be grateful to!

Cheers.

SMEG
27-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi,
i once had a similar problem on a previous car and a mechanic friend told me to buy some Forte (brand name ) Flushing Oil and after the engine has got hot add this to the oil and run at idle for a few minutes and the tapping might stop.
This is because carbon deposits can build up in the hydraulic tappets and make them noisy,the Forte oil dissolves these deposits and so stops the noise.
It worked on mine by the way.
If it works then you must change the oil and filter.

sherlockuk
11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I know it has been a while since you posted this reply. Do you know how long to run the engine with this flusher in? And if it is safe to drive it with it in? Just so I know when I come to change my oil next... Don't want to bugger up the engine or turbo!!!

:D

Tom.

lukassk
11-12-2007, 05:56 PM
hi !!
This tappety sound is most likely hydraulic cam followers. Adding anything into your oil system will cure it or not and if yes just for short time. I think its very easy for mechanic to check if followers are sticking. I left like this might damage your cam or cylinder head.

SMEG
11-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I know it has been a while since you posted this reply. Do you know how long to run the engine with this flusher in? And if it is safe to drive it with it in? Just so I know when I come to change my oil next... Don't want to bugger up the engine or turbo!!!

:D

Tom.
Hi Tom,
ensure the engine is hot then stop the engine, add the Forte flush oil and restart engine and leave at idle for a couple of minutes,(instructions are on the tin ) but do not rev the engine at this point.
If it has worked and carbon is the problem then the tapping sound should stop and you can switch off the engine.
Dump the oil at this point and replace with correct oil and filter.
Good luck!

Cheers, Nigel.

sherlockuk
11-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks mate.

That is what I had thought, good to have some positive confirmation.

Tom :biglaugh: