PDA

View Full Version : New A4 Allroad - oil

JW_Chester
18-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Morning all,

I have a new A4 Allroad (3.0 218) which has covered just over 3k miles since I picked it up. The car is now out of oil - dash warning light on regarding min oil lever.

Surely this is excessive oil usage?

Or, is this just bedding in?

There is no oil leakage on the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks
JW

Gazwould
18-04-2017, 09:09 AM
What was the oil level when new ?

Guest 2
18-04-2017, 09:17 AM
My old B8 A4 used oil up until 10k, after that it didn't use any more right up until I traded it in at 29k.

My current Passat seems to be using a bit of oil too but again it has minimal miles on the engine.

mikecassie
18-04-2017, 10:08 AM
It's not out of oil, it's at it's minimum safe level. But I very much doubt Audi will say that is excessive oil usage anyway if it's taken 3000 miles to reach the minimum oil level.
If you are concerned contact your local Audi dealer and get their opinion and at least then it should be noted that you've raised a concern and if it continues then you've got more history to back up your argument.
How do you drive the car, like there's an egg under the throttle pedal or like it was stolen? Sometimes engines like a good thrashing to keep things working better, I used to see engines which always pootled about and they had greater issues with oil usage than engines which were worked harder.

JW_Chester
18-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Yes good point Mike - not out but at min level. I have now added the requested 1L. I drive a mixture of 'driving miss daisy' and also 'drive it like you stole it' so the car does get pushed. Most days it's 30m each way to work along a motorway. I have raised it as a concern with my dealer so will see what happens. May be a one off - just wanted to canvas opinion / thoughts.

Cheers all
JW

mikecassie
18-04-2017, 11:47 AM
I have heard on other forums that 1L per 1000 miles was used as a measure of heavy oil use! For me that's a joke but what do you do against the might of a big manufacturer... I'll be interested in how your engine continues to use oil, hopefully it stops/slows soon, mine is similar but not used that much oil, maybe 0.3L in 2000 miles.

JW_Chester
19-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Dealer reckons it's a bedding in issue and 'understandable' for a car in the 3-4000 miles arena. I have added the required 1L so will monitor. Fingers crossed it wont happen again. If it does, I will note here and badger the dealer!
JW

Paul Nisbet
24-04-2017, 12:42 PM
I'm 6k in on my 2litre diesal and only used about a third of the oil. It was full on delivery though.

Pasonisse
07-05-2017, 02:55 PM
Morning all,

I have a new A4 Allroad (3.0 218) which has covered just over 3k miles since I picked it up. The car is now out of oil - dash warning light on regarding min oil lever.

Surely this is excessive oil usage?

Or, is this just bedding in?

There is no oil leakage on the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks
JW

I'm approaching 15000 miles(23500 km) since August 2016 with my Allroad also with 3,0 218.
As of now I have refilled appr. 1,5 l oil after two "oil level warnings" since the car was new back in August.