PDA

View Full Version : Turbo nut on exhaust manifold side???

mikeote
02-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Heya guys thanks for looking at this thread.

I was planning on replacing my Turbo today and ran into a problem I didn't expect. One of the three bolts which secure the turbo to the exhaust manifold is on the side of the exhaust manifold... So if I managed to remove it I'd be left with the threaded rod still attaching the turbo to the manifold =/?? Unless that nut is some how attached to the threaded rod and turns the threaded rod out like a bolt?

I tried to turn the nut but it was welded on by the turbo and manifold getting so hot, I stopped when I thought that I was starting to round it a little. It's in a very tight area! I can see why they'd have the nut on the manifold side as there's no room to have it on the Turbo side, but don't know why they didn't use a bolt... As I said above, I can't see how removing the nut would also remove the threaded rod and don't want to cut it off until I know the deal. My plan for cutting it off if that's what I end up doing is to cut a side of the nut off (using a dremel) missing the threaded rod, then hammering it off with a chisel.

If the nut doesn't turn the rod I guess I could use vice grips to remove the threaded rod? I have a Haynes manual but it doesn't go into this much detail, it only says remove the nuts. A photo is attached so you can see the nut I mean (the one which is wet from penetrating oil).

Your help is much appreciated!
Cheers
Mike

zollaf
02-04-2017, 05:57 PM
remove the nut then the turbo will drop down and out.
use a good quality 6 sided socket so you dont round it off.

mikeote
02-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the reply Zollaf, Does this mean that the threaded rod will come out with the Turbo? I didn't think this was the case as the replacement turbo I have doesn't have a threaded rod sticking out of it.. If I need to insert one myself do you know if VW sell it?

The manifold side must not have any thread inside at this point?

As this bolt is so welded on I'll use heat on it tomorrow, I've had good success with the parafin candle wax as lube trick before. If it doesn't work have you ever used a dremel to cut the side of a bolt off then hammer the rest of the bolt off with a chisel?

Cheers
Mike

zollaf
02-04-2017, 07:23 PM
wind the bolt out and the stud will stay in the turbo. you then lower the turbo to get the stud past the manifold. simples. obtain a new stud to rebuild it.

mikeote
03-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Thanks again Zollaf! I've ordered the replacement stud and nuts.