PDA

View Full Version : Washer jets not working

Robert pierce
27-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Hi everybody, bought my partner a 2008 A4 B8 2.0tdi a few weeks ago(private sale), worst mistake of my life no end of issues with the thing.

1 of the issues is the windscreen washer jets aren't working, so my steps so far have been

Remove passenger side front wheel and arch covering.
Removed pump off bottom of reservoir and blipped it with a 12volt feed for a second and it pumped water fine (inlet was inside a cup of water )

Then I put a voltmeter to the plug that attaches to the pump and was having no reading whatsoever when stalk was pulled back ( car was on and headlights also )

Checked every fuse in all 3 areas, so Ive ran out of ideas, maybe could be a relay ?

Thank you in advance for any comments

defsix
27-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Front left or right jet? Does it eject out of the bumper or just do nothing? Does water come out of the second working one?

Sent from my Brain via my Keyboard

Robert pierce
27-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Hi Brian,

There's no voltage getting to the water pump itself, water pump is working fine when hooked up to a battery, all fuses are spot on as well.

Have also blown jets through to make sure they aren't blocked.

Wondering wether the stalk could be faulty or a relay needs replacing ???

Lukenkarl
27-03-2017, 07:50 PM
I am pretty sure the headlights need to be on for this to work. They also have a delay after washing them so they don't wash every time you wash the windscreen.

Robert pierce
27-03-2017, 08:03 PM
I had the headlights on Brian while testing them, even when the stalk is pulled back the wipers don't activate as they should do yet they work fine when they are on normal slow, intermettant and Fast settings 🤔🤔

defsix
27-03-2017, 08:09 PM
I think the Headlights have to be on, then the washers only operate every 5th time, and only if the wiper stalk is pulled in ling enough. VCDS measuring blocks would answer if the stalk was working and indicate if there was a fault.

Sent from my Brain via my Keyboard