PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Audi A5 Sportback

cheekeemonkey
24-03-2017, 12:46 AM
I picked up my new car on Monday ;)

It's an A5 Sportback Quattro S-line Stronic in Daytona Grey Pearlescent

so far I'm very impressed. The quality is superb and the driving experience is great. I've just got to get used to driving an auto again - I keep reaching out for the gear knob to change gear !

M1tchy
24-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Really nice. Saw one in the flesh last weekend and liked it much more than I did when I saw the press release pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott K
26-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Looks great.

Pietros1
02-04-2017, 03:02 PM
Wow-stunning looking car-ordered mine last week, exactly the same model and colour but I went for the petrol 2.0 TFSI.
Which options did you take?
I went with 19" multi spoke V design wheels, privacy glass and extended interior LED. Tried to add the flat steering wheel and reverse camera but apparently the build was locked and I couldn't add to it :(
Can't wait for July!

Couldn't believe how quiet it was inside on the test drive and as you say, the quality was absolutely outstanding.
They bunged me the fully loaded demonstrator with the same TFSI engine for 2 days so I had a great chance to put it through its paces and I loved every minute!

cheekeemonkey
03-04-2017, 12:06 AM
Wow-stunning looking car-ordered mine last week, exactly the same model and colour but I went for the petrol 2.0 TFSI.
Which options did you take?
I went with 19" multi spoke V design wheels, privacy glass and extended interior LED. Tried to add the flat steering wheel and reverse camera but apparently the build was locked and I couldn't add to it :(
Can't wait for July!

Couldn't believe how quiet it was inside on the test drive and as you say, the quality was absolutely outstanding.
They bunged me the fully loaded demonstrator with the same TFSI engine for 2 days so I had a great chance to put it through its paces and I loved every minute!

Exciting times!

The only options I went for were: -

Daytona Grey
Multi V spoke Alloys
Privacy Glass
Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
That's it!!

The car is pretty well spec'd as standard so I didn't feel the need to add lots of other options. Do I wish I had ordered anything else? Virtual Cockpit would have been nice but the standard dash is excellent and with the MMI I think it would have ended up being a bit of a gimmick for me. Other than that I'm not wishing I had ticked anything else in the "must haves"

I nearly went for the TFSi but decided to stick with Diesel this time around. You will love the car when you get it. Very refined but still a sporty angle. It gets lots of admiring glances - two of my friends both have A4s (one Avant and one Saloon) and both have said how nice the car looks compared to the A4 (which is still a great car)

Keep us updated and post up some pics when the car arrives.

Pietros1
03-04-2017, 10:04 AM
Exciting times!

The only options I went for were: -

Daytona Grey
Multi V spoke Alloys
Privacy Glass
Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
That's it!!

The car is pretty well spec'd as standard so I didn't feel the need to add lots of other options. Do I wish I had ordered anything else? Virtual Cockpit would have been nice but the standard dash is excellent and with the MMI I think it would have ended up being a bit of a gimmick for me. Other than that I'm not wishing I had ticked anything else in the "must haves"

I nearly went for the TFSi but decided to stick with Diesel this time around. You will love the car when you get it. Very refined but still a sporty angle. It gets lots of admiring glances - two of my friends both have A4s (one Avant and one Saloon) and both have said how nice the car looks compared to the A4 (which is still a great car)

Keep us updated and post up some pics when the car arrives.

Will do!
The virtual cockpit is a gimmick, looked quite cool seeing the nav on there but I was bored with it after a day, couldn't justify the cost.
I'll get the flat bottom steering wheel fitted somehow, I did like that, a nice look to the 'cockpit' with that there.
It's going to be a long 3 months now, what was your time period from order to delivery?

cheekeemonkey
03-04-2017, 10:17 AM
I think was quoted as 10 weeks but then I fell lucky and found a pre-built I allocated car that my dealer bagged for me so I could get it ahead of the April tax increases.

The only option it didnt didn't have that I wanted was the towbar for our cycle carrier but I'm getting that retrofitted by PF Jones (recommended by the Audi Dealer)

Pietros1
03-04-2017, 04:04 PM
I think was quoted as 10 weeks but then I fell lucky and found a pre-built I allocated car that my dealer bagged for me so I could get it ahead of the April tax increases.

The only option it didnt didn't have that I wanted was the towbar for our cycle carrier but I'm getting that retrofitted by PF Jones (recommended by the Audi Dealer)

I'm not sure why mine's taking so long, hopefully it'll be ready before the due date, put me out of my misery!
I'll post up if anything changes-it's a touch quiet in this particular forum.

cheekeemonkey
03-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Did you know there had been a fire at one of the suppliers which reportedly is causing a weeks delay? I'll try and find the link.

PS. Yes, it is quiet. Not many of us at present!

cheekeemonkey
03-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Here it is

Audi A4, A5 Production Halted By Fire (https://uk.motor1.com/news/140629/audi-a4-a5-production-halted-by-fire/)

Pietros1
03-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Here it is

Audi A4, A5 Production Halted By Fire (https://uk.motor1.com/news/140629/audi-a4-a5-production-halted-by-fire/)

Wow, hopefully the delay is maintained at 1 week, nightmare stuff...

DEF33
05-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Nice looking car.

Pietros1
30-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Whale oil beef hooked, just had a call from my Audi dealer, my A5 is completed a month early and I'll have it this Friday! :D
I'm one very happy chap, always thought July was too far for a March order!

cheekeemonkey
30-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Yay! Roll on the weekend!

EssexGonzo
30-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Gorgeous looking car. Best looking in the Audi range, I reckon.

Pietros1
01-06-2017, 05:11 PM
I knew it was to good to be true-got a call from the dealer this morning, I was expecting to be given a time for collection but no, apparently one of my wheels was damaged at the port. :zx11:
So now, because there's a 'marine claim' as he put it, the car's delayed a full week.

They're giving me the A5 Coupe fully loaded demonstrator to use in the mean time so at least I have something to look forward to tomorrow-not sure what engine is in it.
Oh well, another week...

cheekeemonkey
02-06-2017, 12:47 AM
Dang! Regardless, you'd think they'd just sort your wheel (I.e. New one) then sort the claim afterwards?

eitherway, good that you've got a nice spec car for some free (S)miles !!!

Pietros1
02-06-2017, 11:49 AM
I agree, I'm slightly suspicious, also in myAudi, it shows the car as having a 'Delivery Inspection' on 17/05/17 with 6 miles registered.

In the 'Performed by' box, it lists my dealer and their address but I was told the car literally "came off the ship" this week.

cheekeemonkey
02-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Is the dealer nearby? Might be worth a drive down this weekend and ask to see the car?

check for any other damage to be sure/confident.

Pietros1
04-06-2017, 04:05 PM
I showed him the screenshot and he seemed surprised and asked me to email it to him so he could investigate it further.

The PDI is carried out at their workshop, about a mile away from the showroom so I drove there after but couldn't get past the locked gates to see the car.

They've given me an A5 coupe Sport 2.0 Diesel 190 S tronic for a week with assurances that I'll have my car by next Friday. Can't come quick enough...

cheekeemonkey
04-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Well enjoy the loan car and then compare it to the new one when you get it next week...

Pietros1
11-06-2017, 04:48 PM
Well, everything turned out ok in the end and I picked it up on Friday.

Wow, the difference to the diesel sport coupe is chalk and cheese, I absolutely love this car!

MJC_OK
12-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Has anyone moved from the B9 A4 to this? Is it worth the upgrade?

eperakis
07-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Audi A5 B9 vs B8 driving experience – Quite dissapointing

Have been driving Audi cars for about 15 years (A3, A4, A5 Sportback-B8 version), and foremost enjoyed the driving comfort. Especially in the A5/B8 (2010-2016 models) even at speeds over 140km/h, the only sound noticeable was the turbo engine when accelerating. Absolutely wonderful!

Unfortunately this is not the case anymore: Got the new Audi A5 Sportback 2.0 TFSI – B9 version (after 2017) to replace my old A5/B8 version: even at lower speeds (i.e. 40-80), you noticeably feel the engine vibrating under your feet (the central axis), at higher speeds (i.e.120-150) the radio sound is to a large extend covered by a combination of engine vibrations and wind noise (while the rear mirrow vibrates). Thought it’s a calibration issue so did all tests and there was no result. Then I drove an identical other A5/B9 with the same outcome, which means they are build this way.

The difference in driving comfort of the A5/B9 compared to the previous A5/B8 is huge (from a 9 of 10 it hardly gets a generous 6 of 10). I do not know if this difference is due to lower quality parts used or a conscious decision by Audi to make the cars more ‘rough’ (as Audi’s poor customer service never responded to my questions), but the result is just dippapointing in trems of driving comfort.