PDA

View Full Version : Question Can't decide between TDI and TFSI... help?

ChrisCi
23-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Hi all,
I currently own 2012 A6 C7, with 3.0 TDI, 245bhp engine, S-tronic. It has almost 200kkm on the clock and I'm looking for replacement.
My choice has been narrowed down do slightly used 2016 A6, with better equipment, like matrix led headlights, ACC, lane and side assist, etc.
I was thinking about refreshed 3.0 TDI engine, 277bhp, but just today I received an offer for very well equipped car with 3.0 TFSI, 333bhp engine, actually slightly cheaper then comparative TDIs.
I have nothing against this engine, actually quite tempted, from what I've read it has good reviews in general, however I'm a bit concerned about fuel consumption and the fact that construction of this engine is fairly old.

Is anyone here willing to share the experiences, pros and cons of this engine?
thanks for any thoughts,
Chris

JSRed
23-03-2017, 07:01 PM
I've got a new Bitdi and my current average over 770miles is 20mpg... coming from a MK7 Golf R, It's a bit of a struggle and that did average 22mpg at least.

If Audi offered the TFSI engine here I'd have had it in shot. I'm not a huge fan of diesels but needed a bigger car that still had power, and the Bitdi fit most of the bill apart from the fuel. Couldn't quite stretch to our only petrol offering of the S6 or the RS6 as I wanted several options which I didn't want to compromise on.

Diesel has had its day, So although I have no experience of the 3.0 TFSI, the 2.0TFSI in the Gold R was a great engine and I really miss it.

I'm just hoping when I change this A6 (anywhere between 2 and 4 years from now) they're offering decent petrol or petrol hybrid engines instead of diseasals. I'm not fussed by the crap MPG I'm getting from the Bitdi, but I can't help think each time I (regularly) visit the pump, that I wish it was petrol I was using lots of rather than diesel 😂

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ukgroucho
23-03-2017, 10:16 PM
My brother (lives in California) has the A6 Tfsi 3.0. He had an S4 prior to that and it's basically the same engine EXCEPT in the US they fit the ZF 8 speed tiptronic box to the A6 rather than the s-Tronic which they use in Europe. It's great car - very fast (as fast as my BiTdi but with more 'immediate' power delivery). He's done 30k miles (50k km) with no issues.

Now the S4 which was s-Tronic DID have gearbox issues... just lumpy changes and actually had a bunch of work done by Audi US (mechatronic changes, I think they may have even changed the gearbox). It never failed in any way but was a worry.

The gearbox would be my biggest concern... Fuel consumption, well despite JSRed's experience people with 245 / 272 and BiTdis generally get MUCH better economy than he is reporting. Usually up in the mid-high 30 MPG on average (my allroad averages 36 - 37MPG overall). Of course it depends on driving style and type of journeys that you make. The petrol V6 is not going to achieve that but it does seem reasonably economical particularly on motorway runs. I cannot give you specific figures from my brothers car (I could ask him if you are really interested) but I know he is impressed with the economy compared to his old S4. I suspect he is getting high 20s MPG on average. Having said that if you've done 200k km in your existing car then you're going to feel a 20 - 30% increase in fuel costs.

If you can get the Tfsi with an extended warranty (especially covering the gearbox) and you can deal with higher fuel bills then I'd say "go for it" - it's probably what I would do. No DPF to worry about.... no Adblue

johnsimcox
24-03-2017, 10:07 AM
I know nothing of the situation in Poland regarding diesel cars but assuming it is not dissimilar to other parts of the EU (still including the UK at this time and for point of this post) then I would go for the petrol car. Over the next few years I think we will see an increasing reversal of government policy towards diesels and in time they will become a part exchange liability. here in the UK we are already seeing councils planning to introduce higher parking charges, and in the case of London, congestion charges for older diesel cars. Paris is looking to ban diesels altogether.

Tendaimwari
24-03-2017, 10:47 AM
I've got a new Bitdi and my current average over 770miles is 20mpg... coming from a MK7 Golf R, It's a bit of a struggle and that did average 22mpg at least.

If Audi offered the TFSI engine here I'd have had it in shot. I'm not a huge fan of diesels but needed a bigger car that still had power, and the Bitdi fit most of the bill apart from the fuel. Couldn't quite stretch to our only petrol offering of the S6 or the RS6 as I wanted several options which I didn't want to compromise on.

Diesel has had its day, So although I have no experience of the 3.0 TFSI, the 2.0TFSI in the Gold R was a great engine and I really miss it.

I'm just hoping when I change this A6 (anywhere between 2 and 4 years from now) they're offering decent petrol or petrol hybrid engines instead of diseasals. I'm not fussed by the crap MPG I'm getting from the Bitdi, but I can't help think each time I (regularly) visit the pump, that I wish it was petrol I was using lots of rather than diesel 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Assuming your car is new out of the box with just 770 miles, then the OP should ignore your consumption. As stated 20mpg is well below the average mpg expected for the 3.0tdi. 20mpg is less then my V8 S4 use to achieve.

Diesels days may well be numbered but I'd be surprised if they are consigned to history books within the next 10 years.

istate75
24-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Assuming your car is new out of the box with just 770 miles, then the OP should ignore your consumption. As stated 20mpg is well below the average mpg expected for the 3.0tdi. 20mpg is less then my V8 S4 use to achieve.

Diesels days may well be numbered but I'd be if they are consigned to history books within the next 10 years.

When my 3.0TDi (272) quattro was fresh out of the box, it did upper 20's mpg, but now it has 4.5k on the clock it is already achieving 38-40 mpg average. I would expect the BiTDi consumption to improve considerably from 20mpg.

ChrisCi
29-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Many thanks for all the replies.
I was trying to get more real-life reports about the TFSI MPG and there seems to be a lot of confusion. After late A6 2014 refurb, this engine got 333hp and improved fuel economy, several people reported even 34 MPG highway, however mixed seems to more like 24 MPG.
I have to say I'm tempted to try TFSI, last 3 cars I had with diesel engines and while MPG-wise it makes sense, it also takes away a lot of fun when driving.

ChrisCi
29-03-2017, 11:59 AM
I know nothing of the situation in Poland regarding diesel cars but assuming it is not dissimilar to other parts of the EU (still including the UK at this time and for point of this post) then I would go for the petrol car. Over the next few years I think we will see an increasing reversal of government policy towards diesels and in time they will become a part exchange liability. here in the UK we are already seeing councils planning to introduce higher parking charges, and in the case of London, congestion charges for older diesel cars. Paris is looking to ban diesels altogether.
Last winter we had some serious issues with smog in several larger cities, there seem to be agreement that especially old diesels contribute a lot. It is largely unknown if that will cause any new regulations or limits introduced. A project about higher taxes for old and dirty cars got stuck in parliament, possibly because low-income people would be strongly affected and this is the main electorate for current government.

Hellodave.
29-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Hi all,
I currently own 2012 A6 C7, with 3.0 TDI, 245bhp engine, S-tronic. It has almost 200kkm on the clock and I'm looking for replacement.
My choice has been narrowed down do slightly used 2016 A6, with better equipment, like matrix led headlights, ACC, lane and side assist, etc.
I was thinking about refreshed 3.0 TDI engine, 277bhp, but just today I received an offer for very well equipped car with 3.0 TFSI, 333bhp engine, actually slightly cheaper then comparative TDIs.
I have nothing against this engine, actually quite tempted, from what I've read it has good reviews in general, however I'm a bit concerned about fuel consumption and the fact that construction of this engine is fairly old.

Is anyone here willing to share the experiences, pros and cons of this engine?
thanks for any thoughts,
Chris

I've driven a 245ps 3.0 TDI and a pre face-lift 3.0 TFSI and to drive I didn't think they were vastly different - both were very smooth, although the petrol has the edge on noise and refinement (at low revs it's essentially silent). Acceleration felt similar but obviously the petrol comes alive at higher revs. They were both deceptively fast - quick, but don't really give you a sense of speed like my wife's S3 does. That's expected really - they're designed for comfort after all.

I think I got about 20mpg according to the tfsi's computer on a short test drive. About what I'd expect.

In summary, expect the tfsi to drive like your TDI but quieter!

ChrisCi
29-03-2017, 02:01 PM
[...]

In summary, expect the tfsi to drive like your TDI but quieter!

That's interesting to hear, I would expect TFSI to be more lively, having 65hp more and no lag from turbocharger?

Hellodave.
29-03-2017, 02:05 PM
That's interesting to hear, I would expect TFSI to be more lively, having 65hp more and no lag from turbocharger?
I thought the same, but it didn't feel it. A superbly quiet and refined cruiser, but not especially sporty. It's fairly brisk off the line but I expected more in gear acceleration.

It is lacking in torque compared to the TDI which might have something to do with it.

Westyfield2
03-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Petrol. Every day of the week get a petrol.

I've got the 3.0TFSI, mapped to 480BHP.

Crasher
03-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Wherever you live, if you are spending a lot of money buying a used diesel, make sure it is EU6 emissions certified or walk away.