PDA

View Full Version : Question Clonking in a straight line

C7SS
14-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Hi All,
I've tried searching but so far no luck.
Recently started to hear a clonking noise when driving straight with no torque applied i.e. when slowing down. It disappears if I brake or accelerate. It seems to be coming from the drivers side, had a quick look and both CV boots look OK. I was thinking inner CV joint as turning the wheel has no effect, so I don't think it's the outer CV joint.
Any thoughts?

Scott K
14-03-2017, 09:46 AM
Check your control arms, links and track rod ends. There can often be worn bushes on these parts which causes clunks but usually this is over uneven surfaces.

Mario
14-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Definitely not the inner CV joint. Bad inner CV will cause the entire car to vibrate / shake on acceleration and go silent when off the throttle. Clonks & clunks will be suspension related. So look at your shocks, drop links, anti-roll bar bushes, all bushes in your arms, ball joints. I even once had an inner tie rod make a knock when going over bumps.

That's the kind of stuff I would be looking at. Just as Scott K said.

Crasher
14-03-2017, 12:23 PM
For me that is classic inner cv joint failure BUT it is not common on the 3B, outer failure is. The condition of the boot means nothing, in fact if it is not the original it means it has probaly been drive for upto a year with a split boot.

C7SS
15-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Thanks for your replies.
Looks like I'll be getting under the old girl at the weekend!

C7SS
20-03-2017, 09:06 AM
OK, so spent a few hours under the car, and other than slightly worn ARB drop links, all seemed good - must admit, pretty good for 202,000 miles.
Decided to do a few other minor tasks while my tools were out, and finally found the airbox and inlet ductwork was loose and and not fitting properley. Reseated everything, and low and behold, noise gone!!
Still find it hard to believe that the airbox could emit such a "mechanical" noise, but there it was.